Chapter 10

As Bobby's lips left Jackie's, she began to cry, "Oh, Bobby."

      "I'm sorry... I shouldn't-"

      "No, the kiss was lovely... It's just that I'm going to miss you so much."

      "Jackie, I promise you the day you graduate, I'm getting you out of that hell-hole. I care about you."

     "Oh Bobby, I care about you too, very much so."

      Bobby put his arms around Jackie and hugged her lingering for a moment, "You'll write?" he asked.

     "Every day," she said with a gentle smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Bobby counted the days until Jackie returned from boarding school and when she finally did the reunion was so very sweet. Bobby waited at the train station for Jackie's train to arrive and when it did, she exited and hugged him immediately, "I missed you," she whispered.

       "I missed you too, Jackie."

       She followed him to the car and climbed in.

      "Jackie," Bobby sighed, "I have to tell you something."

      "What's that, Bob?"

       "I enlisted in the Navy."

       "What?" Jackie asked in shock.

        "They're fighting a war out there and they need young men."

        "Bobby, I've seen the papers and some of the pictures. The destruction... The soldiers that have died... The soldiers that are missing... And what about Jack? You know what hell that was for everyone."

         Bobby sighed, "I got to make a name for myself. I can't live under Jack and Joe's shadows for the rest of my life."

       "I'm not asking you to. Isn't there another way you can make a name for yourself though?"

       "I have to do this, Jackie."

       "For who?"

       "For me... For my father... For Jack... For us..."