Chapter 28

When Jackie woke in the morning, Jack was on the phone ordering them breakfast. "Good morning," she said quietly as she blinked awake.

"Morning, I ordered us some breakfast."

"I heard. Pancakes sound wonderful."

He smiled and then kissed her cheek and then handed her a box, "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," she said reaching into the drawer of the nightstand and handing Jack a box as well.

Jackie opened her box to find a set of pearls and matching drop earrings while Jack opened his box to find a watch.

Jackie stood up and sat down next to Jack and kissed him, but was interrupted by a knock at the door, "There's our breakfast," Jack stood up to answer the door. He then wheeled the cart into the room and the couple began to eat their breakfast.

"How's your back, Jack?" Jackie asked as she rubbed his back while she ate with her other hand.

"Really damn sore. What do you want to do today?"

"I don't know. Ethel has to rest so they can't do anything."

"Well, we can."

"I know. I just don't know what I want to do."

"How about we go down to the Radio City Music Hall and watch those Rockettes."

"That sounds like fun. Let's go!"

Jackie and Jack finished their breakfast and then both got dressed. Jackie dressed in gray button up dress that was belted around the waist with black kitten heels while Jack dressed in a suit. "Handsome couple we make," Jack said as he stood next to Jackie who was looking in the mirror.

The couple then walked up to Ethel's and Bobby's room to see how Ethel was feeling. "Merry Christmas, Bob," Jackie said hugging him after he opened the door.

"Merry Christmas," Bobby said smiling.

"Merry Christmas, Bob. How's your Ethie doing?"

"She's tired and stressed about the whole situation, but it'll all be okay."

Jackie smiled as she went into the hotel room and hugged Ethel, "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," Ethel yawned.

"I could imagine. Well, Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Jackie. What are you and Jack doing today?"

"We're going to the Radio City Music Hall and then we're driving my car home tomorrow."

After the girls chatted a little while longer, Jack and Jackie left. Christmas went by quickly and soon Jack and Jackie found themselves making the drive home from New York to Massachusetts. When they arrived home, the family bombarded them with questions about how Ethel was feeling. Jack and Jackie answered them vaguely as they had promised Bobby not to tell. On New Year's Eve, when Ethel and Bobby finally arrived back in Massachusetts, the family eagerly greeted Ethel.

"Ethel, how are you?" Rose asked.

"I'm doing well," Ethel replied.

Jackie stood next to Bobby as everyone greeted Ethel, "Where the hell is Jack?" Bobby asked.

"He went to the drug store to get medication for his back."

"How bad has it been?" Bobby asked as Jackie leaned on him.

"It's been horrible. I was helping him put his brace on the other day and it would barely snap because he was so swelled up."

"Damn it," Bobby sighed.

"When are you going to tell them?"

"I don't know. I think I'm going to propose to Ethel and maybe we'll hurry the wedding along-"

"And then tell them after you're married?"

"That's what I was thinking."

"It sounds like a good plan."

"Jackie, I have to tell you. I'm glad we're not getting married because you're my best friend and I want you to stay my best friend. I don't want you to be my wife."

"Why because I know too much?"

"Partially," Bobby replied laughing.