Chapter 56

"You have to do what's best for your health, Jack," Jackie said laying next to Jack in bed.

    "I can't get back surgery now. I have to campaign and you're pregnant."

    Jackie shook her head and sighed, "You have to take care of yourself. You are getting surgery. You have a wonderful doctor that said you're recovery will be very speedy and you'll be better than you ever were."

    Jack looked at Jackie, "Fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "What the hell are you trying to tell me?" Jackie said through gritted teeth as the doctor rambled something to her.

    "I'm trying to say that the surgery didn't go as planned."

    Jackie put her hand on her forehead and looked at Bobby and Teddy who had come to the hospital to wait with Jackie while Jack was in surgery.

    "What happened then?" Bobby asked.

    "His back problems were more complicated than expected and we didn't accomplish exactly what we wanted."

    "Did you make it worse?" Teddy asked red in the face.

    The doctor nodded sheepishly.

    "Why can't you fix it?" Jackie yelled.

    "Mrs. Kennedy, if we do anything else to his back, he will be paralyzed. I'm afraid he's stuck this way until medical technology improves."

    Jackie slumped down into her seat and began to cry, "As if his back wasn't bad enough."

    "Can we see him?" Bobby nearly shouted at the doctor.

    The doctor nodded and pointed toward Jack's room. Teddy offered his hand to help Jackie up and then she held onto him while they walked to his room. Jackie entered the room first to see Jack laying in the hospital bed, "Bob," she said before walking inside, "Please get ahold of that specialist in New York from his after the PT-109."

    Bobby nodded.

    "I'm so sorry, Jack," Jackie whispered through tears.

    "Kid, it's not your fault. I thought it would help me. Who would've thought these god damn idiots would've made it worse."

    "Bunny, I just don't want to see you in pain."

    "Stop. I'm alright. How are you?"

    "I'm fine. I asked Bobby to call that specialist in New York. Do remember him?"

    "The one that took care of me after I was rescued?"

    "Yes," Jackie nodded.

    "Kid, we're going to get through this. I promise you that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Jack didn't get good news from his specialist. The specialist had made him a very special brace consisting of snaps, buckles, and cords that Jackie had to put on Jack, as he couldn't do it himself. By the time, the brace was completely on Jack, Jackie was sweating. "I'm sorry that you have to do this for me."

"Jack, it's alright," Jackie said taking a deep breath and wiping her forehead with the back of her hand.

"We'd better get going or we're going to be late for Mom's labor day picnic."

Jackie grabbed Jack's hand and squeezed it tightly, "Let's go grab our kiddos and get going."

Jackie went into Arabella's room and took her in her arms while Jack grabbed Harrison. They then all walked to the main house and were greeted by Joe. "Hi, there! How are you, Harrison?" Joe asked taking him out of Jack's arms.

"Pa-pa!" Harrison squealed.

"How are you and baby Kennedy?" Joe asked smiling at Jackie.

"We're doing wonderfully." After the family had eaten dinner together, Jackie wanted to go for a walk so Bobby joined her. For awhile, they strolled around in silence then Bobby spoke up, "Jackie, I have to ask you something."

"What's that?"

"How did you and Jack deal with your problems during your first pregnancy?"

    "We didn't deal with them the way we should've. We both kind of closed up to each other and... I think that's what drove us to where we were when I was pregnant with Arabella. Why?"

     "Ethel had a miscarriage," Bobby said letting a single tear stream down his cheek.

      "Oh honey," Jackie sighed as she hugged him, "I'm so sorry. Can I do anything?"

      "Not really. Ethel's upset with me because I was away when it happened and I'm upset with her being upset with me. I'm just upset in general. It doesn't help that she went to her mother's for the weekend and left me alone with five kids."

      "How about I come over and give you a hand tonight after I get my little ones to bed? Jack could come over too or even better!" Jackie said excitedly snapping her fingers, "We could have a big slumber party!"

      "What?"

      "Yeah! Me, you, Jack, and all of the kids. It'll be like when I was a teenager and was at your house all of the time."

      Jackie took off toward the house to tell Jack the exciting news.

     "Jesus Christ, Jackie," Bobby called after her, "You're not even running and I can't keep up with you!"

      Jackie turned around and stuck her tongue out at him and placed her fingers in the shape of an L on her forehead.