Chapter 13

The next few days passed slowly. No one slept well; no one ate much; and everyone cried. When Jackie had to leave the family, she felt terrible and wrote even more letters to them than she had before.

   But eventually, Jackie graduated from boarding school and was able to get away from her mother and Lee. When the summer of 1947 rolled around, Bobby had been honorably discharged from the Navy and Jackie had graduated. After Jackie graduated, she moved into the guest room of the Kennedy compound. Jackie was practically a part of the family and after she moved in, they only got closer.

   One Friday evening, Bobby and Jackie were planning to go out to dinner, but Jack stopped them just as they were leaving.

   "Hey!" Jack called to them.

   "Yes, Jack?" Jackie asked spinning around which whipped her floral dress around with her.

   "I have blind date. Why don't we make it a double?" he asked.

   "Aw Jack," Bobby moaned, "I had plans for Jackie and I."

   "I'm sure I can charm my way into your plans."

   Jackie giggled, "He can join us, Bob. It's fine."

   "You're a jackass," Bobby sighed looking at Jack.

   "You love me, Bobby. Don't lie," Jack grinned.

   "How old is she?" Jackie asked.

   "I think she's a year older than you, but I'm not really sure."

     "Who set you up?" Jackie questioned.

       "A friend from college."

   "More importantly," Bobby spoke up, "Is she a democrat?"

   "How the hell am I supposed to know?"

   Jackie and Bobby laughed. Jackie then spoke up, "Ignore your brother; of course we'll double with you."

   "Jackie, you're incredible. Thank you," Jack smiled hugging Jackie.

   Bobby, Jackie, and Jack then piled into the car and drove to pick up Jack's date. "Jackie, go get her."

   "I'm not getting her, Jack! She's your date."

   Jack moaned and then got out of the car to go get his date.

      A pretty, young woman followed Jack back to the car and then climbed in, "Hello," she smiled, "I'm Ethel."