Chapter 89

"What a crowd!" Jack said as they waved to the crowd.

"Why'd we switch cars?" Jackie asked as she smiled and waved.

"I figured I'd let Lyndon lead since this is his home state."

'That's sweet of you. I bet that-" she was cut off by the sound of gunfire. "What the hell was that?" Jackie yelled. Clint Hill was laying over top of them after she said that.

Clint heard through his radio, "Volunteer has been hit! I repeat Volunteer has been hit!"

The motorcade sped toward the hospital as Clint asked, "Jackie, are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"Mr. President?"

"I'm fine. How's Lyndon?"

"Lancer and Lace were not hit. Lancer and Lace have not been hit. What is Volunteer's condition?"

"GSW to the neck," the voice replied.

    "Clint, ask how Lady Bird is."

    "What is Victoria's status?"

    "Victoria has not been hit; she has not been hit."

    Another voice came over the radio, "Let's get the hell out of this plaza without getting anyone else shot."

    "Copy that," Clint replied.

    Jack and Jackie felt like it took a lifetime for them to arrive at the hospital. "Keep Lancer in the car until we know what's going on."

    "To hell with that!" Jack yelled pushing Clint off of him, "I need to be with Claudia. Let's go, Jackie."

    Clint followed closely behind, "Lancer refuses to wait. He's entering the hospital now."

    "God dammit!" someone yelled over the radio.

    Jack ran toward Claudia and Jackie followed after him. Claudia was covered in blood, "Claudie!" Jack said grabbing her and holding her tightly as she sobbed into his shoulder.

    "Oh, Jack..." she cried.

    "I know. I know..."

    Jackie went on her other side and hugged her, "We love you, Claudie. It's all going to be okay."

    "I'm so sorry," Jack said beginning to cry, "We switched places last minute. That was supposed to be me."

    "Jack, had it been you," Claudia said through her tears, "You wouldn't have been able to bend had you gotten shot. The second shot would've gone through your skull. Lyndon will be fine. He talked to me the whole way here. I'm just shook up. That's all."

       They waited for what seemed like an eternity, but finally, Lyndon's doctor emerged, "He will make a full recovery. For now, I'm recommending rest and painkillers."

      Claudia weeper tears of joy on Jacks shoulder as Jackie stood and shook the doctor's hand, "Thank you."

      "My pleasure. You can go see him."

       "Jackie, go in. Claudia needs to calm down before she goes in there."

       Jackie walked into his room and say down on the edge of his bed. Since he was sleeping, she took his hand inside her own and squeezed it. "Lyndy, I thought we were going to lose you. I never thought I'd be here. I couldn't stand you at first and now you're a friend, an uncle, a fatherish figure. I just-"

       His eyes opened and he looked at her, "I know, Jackie," he said in a hushed tone. He patted her hand just as Claudia walked in. Jackie stood by the door and watched as he kissed Claudia.

    Jackie put her arms around Jack, "I love you."

    "I love you too, Jackie. I'm glad we're okay."

    "Me too," she said kissing his cheek.

    Jack went to Lyndon's bedside, "That was one hell of a dodge today," Jack said patting his shoulder gently.

    "You're alright?" he asked.

    "I'm fine! How are you?" Jack replied.

    "I'm alive and pretty hopped up on pain meds. So, I'm pretty alright."

    They sat in Lyndon's room for awhile when Claudia began to doze off, "Hey,"Lyndon said to Jackie, "Have Clint take you and Cluadie to a hotel."

    Jackie stood up and smoothed her skirt. Then she went to the door and tapped Clint on the shoulder, "Can Claudia and I go to a hotel?"

    "Sure, let me grab a couple more Secret Service Agents."

    Jackie went back in the room and gently touched Claudia's shoulder, "Come on, Claudie, let's go to a hotel and get some sleep."

    "No, you and Jack-"

    "I'm perfectly fine to sit up and bother Lyndon, besides we'll be leaving tomorrow morning and I can sleep on the plane."

    "Mrs. Kennedy," Clint said, "We're ready for you and Mrs. Johnson."

    They were taken to a hotel where Claudia immediately went to shower when she got out she was sobbing, "What's wrong?" Jackie asked running to hug her.

    "Blood... It was everywhere...." her voice shook and Jackie hugged her tightly.

    After Jackie had made sure Claudia was settled in her bed, Jackie went to take a quick shower. Once she was showered, she went to bed and didn't lie awake for more than a minute.

The next morning the women quickly got dressed and met their husbands at the hospital. They wanted to get out of Dallas as soon as possible. Jack and Jackie watched Lyndon and Claudia board their plane and then they did the same.

The moment that Jackie and Jack set foot in the White House, they ran to their kids. "Mama, why you cry?" John asked.

"It's just because I love you so much."

"Daddy, what's ass-ass-in-ation? And why were they trying to do it to you?" Harrison asked with tears streaming down his face.

Jack gulped, "Harrison, I think we need to talk about that alone."