Chapter 33

When Jack finally returned to Hyannis Port in February for Bobby's wedding, Jackie picked him up at the airport. "Jack!" she called to him across the airport.

   Jackie stood waiting for Jack to meet her and he soon did. She hugged him and kissed him, "Are you ready to go?" she asked as he carried his bags toward the car.

   "Yep. Are you driving, my dear?"

   "I can if you're tired."

   "Then it looks like you're driving."

   "That's fine. I have to talk to you about something anyways."

   Jackie began to drive out of the parking lot as Jack asked with a mouthful of M&Ms that Jackie had brought for him, "About what?"

   "Lee and I have been talking a lot lately. Every night, Bobby and I walk around the neighborhood and Lee's been joining us. Jack, with mom having another baby and her new husband..."

   "Kid, just spit it out. What's eating at you?"

   "Lee begged me to move in with us after we get married."

   "Well, if you want her too, of course."

   "Really?" Jackie asked excitedly.

   "Of course. Jackie, with me being away campaigning and in DC and everything else... It'll be good for you to have some company, especially when we have children."

   Jackie smiled contently and then they arrived home.

   That night when Bobby and Jackie took their walk around the block and Lee ran out of her house as usual. "Lee, I've got to tell you that I talked to Jack and he said absolutely."

   "Tell him thank you for me."

   "I will and I'll talk to Mum soon."

   Lee kissed Jackie's cheek and said, "Thank you so much, Jackie."

   "I love you, Lee."

   "I love you too, Jackie."

   Lee then ran back to her home and Jackie and Bobby continued walking. "So you're getting married tomorrow," Jackie commented.

   "Yep," Bobby sighed.

   "Well, that took a turn. What's eating at you?"

   Bobby grabbed Jackie's hand and looked down at her engagement ring, "Jackie, what if we're screwing everything up?"

   Jackie felt like someone had just punched her in the gut, "You've said before that we aren't meant to be married and-"

   "I keep telling myself that, but... But what if I'm wrong? What if I am meant to marry my best friend? Doesn't that seem more natural?"

   "Ethel is pregnant. You can't walk out on her."

   "Jackie, I think I'm screwing everything up."

   "Robert Kennedy, you, sir, are a jackass," Jackie said smacking his arm.

   "Don't you ever wonder?"

   "Of course, I've wondered! Bobby, I fell in love with you seven damn years ago when I moved here."

   "Then what if-"

   "Bobby," Jackie said as tears filled her eyes, "I've moved on. We will forever be friends, but I'm going to be Jack's wife. That's that. Now, we can hug and walk in there or we can both break off our engagements and screw up everyone's life."

   Bobby brought Jackie in for a hug, "Jackie, just know that I'll always have feelings for you."

   "Same here, Bobby, but I love Jack and that's something that will never change."