Chapter 21

"Jack!" Jackie screamed running to his side. She then ran to the phone and called for an ambulance. When the ambulance finally arrived, Jack was still out. As Jackie rode with him, she held his hand and kissed it. After arriving at the hospital, she sat alone waiting to find out something about Jack or what had happened. Finally, after waiting countless hours, Jack's doctor came out. "You can follow me," the doctor said.

"How's Jack?" she asked.

"We'll talk when we get to his room."

When they arrived at his room, Jackie ran in first and hugged him, "Are you alright?"

"I'm good, Jackie," he replied breathily and then kissed the top of her head.

"Congressman Kennedy, you have what we call Addison's disease."

"What is that exactly?"

"Your body isn't producing enough hormones. It sometimes causes people to collapse. It's not curable, but we can manage it with steroids and different medications."

Jack nodded, "Thank you."

      Jackie stood beside Jack, "I'm sorry, Jack."

     He sighed, "I just can't catch a damn break. I have the back of an eighty year old man and I guess I have the health of one too."

     "It's alright, Jack. I'll always be by your side, no matter what."