Chapter 37

Jackie went up to bed to rest while Bobby sat downstairs in case she needed anything. Jackie slept until nearly eleven the next morning and woke up to find Jack sitting in a chair in their bedroom. "Jack!"

   "Hey, kid," Jack whispered as he stood and sat down on the edge of the bed. Jackie hugged him and he wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "How are you feeling?"

   "Better now that you're here."

   "Why didn't you tell me?"

   "I wanted to tell you in person."

   "I should've been home with you."

   "You're home now," Jackie said with her breathy voice that made Jack feel all warm inside.

   "I'm sorry about the one baby."

   "I know. Me too, but we're still having a baby."

   "I know and I'm very happy about that."

   "I love you, Jack."

   "I love you, Jackie," Jack whispered and then pulled a ring box out of his sport coat, "Here, Bobby told me that the baby is due in March."

   Jackie opened the box and found a ring with an aquamarine stone which would be the baby's birthstone. "You're such a sweetheart, Jack."

   Jack leaned down and groaned from a twinge of pain in his back, "Lift your nightie up, Jackie."

   "Jack!" Jackie exclaimed angrily.

   "No! God no! I want to tell the baby something."

   Jackie complied and lifted it exposing her belly. "This is your daddy, Baby Kennedy. We can't wait to meet you." He then kissed her stomach and Jackie smiled.

   "You're going to be such a good father."

   "You're going to be a wonderful mother."

   As the months passed, Jackie grew sicker and sicker from the pregnancy and soon she was put on bedrest in February. Jack had taken a short leave from work to make Jackie his priority and had increased his appeal to the public for the election in 1960 because of it.

   When March finally came, Jackie was more than ready to deliver the baby. They waited and waited and finally, one morning, Jackie's water broke. After Jack rushed her to the hospital, he waited in the expectant fathers' room while both Jackie and the baby struggled. He grew so nervous that he called Bobby to wait with him. Once the doctors finally decided that it wasn't safe for the baby to be born naturally, the nurse came out to see Jack, "Mr. Kennedy, I'm afraid we have to perform emergency surgery to deliver your baby."

   "Can I see Jackie?"

   "You can see her for just a quick minute. We have to take her down very quickly. And Mr. Kennedy, if complications should arise, we will try to save both, but who should our priority be?"

   "My wife," Jack replied without missing a beat. He then followed after the nurse to see Jackie. She was pouring sweat, "Jackie, I love you."

   "I love you too, Jack," she said gulping for every breath.

   "It's all going to be okay."

   "Jack, if something happens to me, take care of our baby."

   Jack squeezed her hand and nodded. As they whisked Jackie away, Jack paced nervously. "Jack, she's going to be okay."

   "Shut your God damn mouth, Bobby!" Jack snapped, "You don't know what it's like. Ethel pops out kids like a damn rabbit and Jackie and I have been trying for years to get pregnant and she finally does and its been pure hell for her. It could kill her. Our baby could die. You don't get it! Just-"

   "Mr. Kennedy," said a soft voice.