Chapter 39

"Harrison, listen pal, life we be a helluva lot easier for both of us if you just drank your bottle," Jack said speaking loudly over his son's cries.

        Harrison was almost two months old and Jackie had gone away to New York with Lee for the weekend. Jack agreed to watch him as he thought Jackie needed a little break and besides, it was only two days and one night.

       Jack gently bounced Harrison as he tried to get him to drink from his bottle. Finally, Harrison complied and Jack breathed a sigh of relief, "See, that's not so bad. I know you want Mama to feed you, but dear ole Dad isn't so bad. Now is he?"

       Jack heard and knock at the door and went to get it. It was his mother. "How's it going?"

      "He finally took his bottle. Did Jackie call and ask you to check on me?"

       "Yes, she did. She told me that Mr. Harrison and Daddy don't get along very well at feeding time," Rose said talking more to Harrison than Jack.

       "We're doing fine, Ma," Jack said kissing her cheek, "We will see you at church tomorrow and for brunch."

       "Okay. Call me if you need anything."

      Jack nodded and Rose left shutting the door behind her. A few minutes later, after he had gotten Harrison down for a nap, the phone rang and Jack dove for it.

        "Hello?" he whispered into it.

        "Mr. Kennedy, longtime no see," said a familiar, seductive voice.

        "How are you?" he asked trying to change the tone.

         "Well, I'm about five minutes from your home and I'm coming to see you so I'm wonderful." The phone clicked off and Jack put his hand to his head.

         "Shit. Please God," he pleaded, "Help me to say no to this."