Chapter 31

The tension between Jackie and Ethel may have began on New Year's Eve 1947, but it continued to grow as both women planned their weddings. Ethel had planned for her wedding to be on Valentine's Day and Jackie was planning hers for nearly a month later on Saint Patrick's Day. Ethel had moved into the compound and was sharing a room with Bobby while Jackie continued living in the guest room.

"Kick," Jackie said one morning while the two were eating their breakfast on the porch, "Will you go wedding dress shopping with me? My mother and I barely speak and my sister thinks I'm crazy marrying a Kennedy."

Kathleen laughed and replied, "Of course. I'll go with you."

"Thanks, I have to ask some of the other girls to go too."

"Yeah, I'm sure Pat, Jean, and Eunice would like to come too."

"How about your mother? Do you think she'd like to go?"

"I think she would love to go."

Jackie stood up gently, touched her curlers on the back of her head, and carried her plate into the house. "Pat! Eunice! Jean! Rose!" Jackie called into the living room, "Do you want to come with me wedding dress shopping today?"

All of the girls squealed with delight. After they had all gotten dressed and ready, Jackie drove the six of them to the wedding dress boutique. When they arrived, everyone was surprised to see Ethel, her sisters, and her mother at the same boutique. "Oh, no," Jackie moaned as she tried to turn around.

"Damn nonsense, Jacqueline. You got all of us. We are shopping here," Rose said as she turned Jackie back around.

As fate had it, the consultant put Jackie next to Ethel. Jackie and Ethel scowled at each other. Jackie tried on many dresses and finally found the perfect one, "Oh, Jackie," Rose said putting her hand on her face, "You look absolutely stunning."

"How do I look, Mrs. Kennedy?" Ethel asked.

"Fine," Rose said standing, "Oh, Jackie. You're beautiful and when you walk down the aisle, Jack's jaw is going to hit the floor!"

"Won't Bobby's jaw do the same thing, Mrs. Kennedy?" Ethel asked.

"Yes, dear."

"Ethel," Jackie said quietly because subconsciously, it bothered her that she and Ethel didn't get along, "I don't like that dress on you."

Ethel looked angry and like she was about to sound off at Jackie when Jackie continued, "The ivory washes you out. Besides, if you gain any weight with... well you know, the first dress will hide it."

Ethel stared thinking and then said, "Thank you, Jackie."