Chapter 98

"Mom, I love her so much!" Arabella rocking her sister in her arms. It was the day after Josie had been born and now all of the kids were in Jackie's hospital room meeting their newest sibling.

"My turn," Caroline whispered as she slowly took Josephine off of her oldest sister. Caroline gasped as she held her sister for the first time, "She's beyond perfect. I couldn't have dreamt her being anymore perfect."

Jackie wiped a few tears from her eyes. All of the kids fussed over Josie until Jack had to take them home. While Jackie was laying in the hospital room alone, Rose Kennedy walked into the room.

"Jackie, my dear," Rose stepping next to Jackie's bed.

"Rose, it's wonderful to see you."

Rose sat down on the edge of Jackie's bed.

"I thought you would come with Jack and the kids."

Rose grabbed Jackie's hand and didn't say anything. She put her hand over her eyes.

    "Rose, say something."

    She shook her head and for the first time possibly since Joe Jr. died, Jackie saw Rose break down completely. Jackie squeezed her hand tightly and then hugged her as she sobbed. "Rose," Jackie whispered in Rose's ear, "You need to meet your granddaughter. She's beautiful...looks just like you."

    Rose was unable to move. She just held onto Jackie and sobbed continuously. Jackie gently rubbed her back and whispered, "Shhh, it's okay," repeatedly.

      Finally, after a long time, Rose pulled herself together and was able to speak, "Jack," she hiccuped as she spoke, "Called... And-and told me what you named her."

     Jackie felt tears welling in her eyes, "We wanted Joe to be remembered... We wanted her to know who he was."

     "It's just beautiful, Jackie, I miss him."

     "I know you do. I do too."

     "Oh, he loved you so, darling. Besides his girls, you were his favorite."

     "I know," Jackie said letting her tears fall, "He was the only father I ever really had. My father... Was an alcoholic and then my step father was... I loved him so much."

     "He knew that, Jackie..." Rose closed her eyes and sighed and that's why he wanted me to give you this when the baby was born."

     "You knew?" Jackie asked.

    "He told me. I was crying and he told me. Then I helped him write this for you. He couldn't say what he wanted to, but her wanted you to know," Rose said beginning to cry again, "I'm going to go meet Josephine... And... And you can read that."

      Jackie opened the envelope slowly and began to read the letter that was in Rose's handwriting, but Joe's words:

Dearest Jackie,
It pains me to think that I won't get to meet the baby. I hope he or she is very healthy and that you and Jack are happy. You came into our lives when it seemed like we needed you most. I know you always said that I rescued you from your mother, but in reality... You rescued us. Without you, I don't know how we would've made it through any of these terrible tragedies. You have become my daughter. I am honored for you to have told me that I was the only real father you ever had. We were lucky, darling. I don't know how we got so lucky as to have you in our lives. I love you very much, Jacqueline.
-Dad

      Jackie made it through the whole letter without crying until she read the part at the bottom which he had written himself. Scrawled in his shaky, sloppy handwriting was the word, 'Dad'. Such a small word meant the world to Jackie.

      "Jackie," Rose said handing her a necklace with a class ring on it, "He wanted you to have this. This was his."

    Jackie immediately clipped the necklace around her neck and looked at the ring around her neck. "Thank you, Rose."

    "Call me, Mom... That is if you're comfortable doing so."

    "Love you, Mom."

    "Oh, how I love you, Jacqueline," Rose said kissing the top of her head, "Your daughter is beautiful."

    "Thank you."

    "I better be going , but I'll be seeing you soon, dear."

    "See you later."

    Rose left and Jackie sat thinking about Joe, "Oh, how I miss you, Joe. I miss you so much. I love you, Dad."

    "Dad?" Jack asked walking in. He sat down on the edge of Jackie's bed and kissed her cheek. "Why've you been crying?"

    She handed him the letter and he read it slowly and carefully, "Wow," Jack said quietly.

That night Jack left his wife and tiny baby in the hospital for the last time. They would be discharged the next morning. While Jackie was sitting in a chair beside Josephine, there was a knock at the door, "Come in," She said quietly.

A man walked in and Jackie's jaw dropped.

"Jackie, it's me."

"Oh my God," Jackie said staring at him.