Chapter 14: Therapy

The interview/interrogating/therapy room, with its small potted plants and lounge chairs. Its perfectly comfortable and relaxing.

And I hate it.

I've been in this room many times while I'd been having my nightmares. A lot of sessions with Canary. So many I'm surprised she can't just read me like an open book with really big words saying,
'I AM STILL HAVING DREAMS ABOUT MY DEATH AND MY PARENTS!!!'
She always knows when somethings on my mind. She'll figure it out. Eventually. She also knows my real name, and Robins, which Batman did not like and had to have a 'word' with her.

"We can start whenever you're ready Katie." She said in her comforting voice.

"Can we start never?" I asked her. I really didn't want to do this.

"Katie. You of all people should know that these sessions are healthy. With what you were like..."

"I don't want to talk about what I was like when I came back." I told her. "That wasn't me. That was a lost girl who didn't know who or where she was."

Canary nodded. "I know Katie. But right now I'm talking about you. Now, what did you see while under the trance of the fear toxin."

I leaned back in my chair. Trying to act casual.

"A few people dying. Nothing too heart scratching."

"Can you please elaborate on 'A few people dying'?" Canary asked.

Why did I even try to conceal what I saw. Shes gonna find out. I should just tell her everything. I know shes not gonna go around blabbing that I've been having nightmares again. Canary's not that type of girl.

"You want me to elaborate. Everyone on the team burnt to death in a fire." I elaborated.

Canary changed her position in her chair.

"Burnt to death. Like the nightmares you used to have?" She asked and I nodded in response. "Was your father there as well?"

"Yeah. And my mother."

"And how did seeing them again make you feel?"

Okay. That was a dumb question.

"Ahhh. Scared, traumatised. It's fear toxin, how do you expect me to feel?"

"Alright Katie. Calm down." Canary soothed. "I just hope that this experience doesn't bring back your nightmares."

I looked her in the eye.
Should I tell her. It will help me. She will actually care. And more importantly she definitely won't go around telling everyone.
Tell her. Tell her! TELL HER!!!

"Yeah. Good thing I don't have them anymore." I smiled.

Well. At least I pretty much told her.

Canary's eyes narrowed slightly.

"You've been having them again. Haven't you?" I nodded she sighed. "Alright. When did they start?"

"When Gotham was under attack by mutated students. So... Two weeks ago."

"How often have they been?"

"Every night. And they still hurt. The same hurt every night." I said.

"Have you told anyone else about them?"

I shook my head. "I probably should tell Robin. But I know I'm not gonna."

"What made you tell me?" She asked, a little curious.

"I didn't. You figured it out. Also the sessions we had actually kinda helped with them."

Canary nodded. "So you want my help is what your saying."

"Um... Yeah. I guess."

"Well I'm glad you asked Katie. It shows that you aren't afraid to ask for help which is a good thing. Should we start up our regular sessions again?"

I shook my head. "No. The team will figure it out if I keep going in here with you."

"Well we don't have to do it here. It can be anywhere. As for the dreams. Do what you did last time. What was it that worked. Sleeping with Robin?" She said with a barely noticeable smirk. But I noticed.

"I don't think he'd mind if we did that again." I smiled.

"I'm sure he wouldn't. Okay Katie. We are done for today. I'll try to figure a schedule for us and we'll do these again. Alright?"

"Alright." I said.

God I hope I just did the right thing.

__________________________

Robins POV

Therapy?

I wonder what she saw while under the influence of the toxin. I can barely remember what she was yelling as I tried to get the gas mask on her.

"You died because you loved me."

Thats what she said. What does that mean? Who was she dreaming about?

"I didn't ask for you to die."

Her father! Tony.
Of course. How did I not realise that? She was seeing her father. The man who hit and abused her. The man who forced her onto the streets to become a criminal. The same man who didn't think twice when he sacrificed his own life to save her.

And he used to be apart of her nightmares.
Actually we all were. Katie had explained them to me in a lot of detail. Me, artemis, John, Tony and everyone shes ever met. Burning and screaming as we died in front of her.
I can't imagine seeing that every night when you close your eyes. I don't know what that would do to a girl.

Watching her cry in my arms most nights made me wonder... Made me wonder if bringing her back to life was the right choice. Her mind was lost... Gone. It was Katie's body but it wasn't Katie. It wasn't the happy, flirty, fast paced girl I'd fallen in love with. It was a sad, crying girl that didn't want to leave her room. 
Thats the main reason why I'm so proud of my girl. Eventually she let us all help her. She combated the depression, the mental illnesses, the breakdowns, the Nightmares.
For the first time in several weeks I'd seen her smile. A truly genuine smile. I remember when I saw it on her face. I almost shed a tear of joy.

She had come back.

Katie... Ocelot... The girl I was madly in love with had returned.

She still had her nightmares. But they were becoming less often. She was no longer sad all the time. She came out on patrol with us. She came back to the team. She continued to show her beautiful smile.

And she made me the happiest boy in Gotham.

And now I'm scared.

She's gone back to therapy.

What if her dreams have come back?

What if she redevelops her depression?

What if I lose her again?

Ocelots are cats.