Chapter 27: Z stands for Zatanna

Katie's POV

John left immediately after that conversation. He simply yelled out goodbye as he jumped off the building and disappeared.
That was a week ago.
I have no idea how he's managing. He had a broken arm and wasn't looking too good after his run in with Deathstroke (who is now in prison thanks to Batman). I just hope my brother is alright and hasn't already gotten in trouble while 'training'.

Right now I'm sitting down at the table in the manor eating breakfast. I'm finally going back to school today. Its been weeks since I last went. I'll probably have to catch up on a zillion hours of homework.
I look up from my cereal and caught Dicks eye. He quickly diverts his gaze back to his food.
Its been like this all week. He wants to talk to me. I want to talk to him.
But we can't.
I don't know why. He doesn't know why. We just can't.
Bruce and Alfred have noticed this but haven't said or done anything. I guess they think we need to work it out ourselves.

I stand up from the table and take my bowl into the kitchen. I take Jason's empty bowl as I pass him and he thanks me. Oh yeah, Jason lives with us now. Long story short, Bruce was interested in his fighting skills and wants to train another Robin. I think Bruce forgot that Jason is the same kid that stole the wheels off of his car last year.
As I leave for the kitchen I can feel Dick's eyes on me as I leave.
God I hope its not this awkward at school.

__________________________

Its even more awkward.

We are literally both sitting on either side of Barbara and are not saying a word to each other. Barbara has noticed our distance and I can tell she feels weird sitting in between us.

"You two going through a rough patch?" She asked, breaking the silence.

We both looked at her, then looked at each other before looking away again.

"O-kay" Barbara said.

Artemis then showed up. She took one look at a sad me, a sad Dick and a awkward Barbara and quickly grabbed me and dragged me off.
And I'm so thankful she did.

"So how is it that you are having relationship problems with Dick and Robin at the exact same time?"

Okay, maybe I'm not so thankful.

"Coincidence." I said confidently, hoping she would believe me.

She didn't. Instead she just smiled.

"This is great." She said.

"Excuse me?" I said, a little offended.

"What? Oh, no. Not about you having love problems." She stated. "It's just that I just figured out the Boy Wonders identity."

"Yeah, Yeah. Just don't tell anybody or Batman will seriously injure you...and me."

"I won't." She promised. "So you two still haven't made up."

I shook my head and Artemis sighed.

"Just don't do anything stupid that you'll regret okay. You've gone through a lot in the past few weeks. We don't need any more drama."

I nodded and we decided to walk towards our lockers and get ready for class.

__________________________

Dick's POV

"So.... What did you do to Katie?" Barbara asked.

I quickly turned to her.

"Excuse me?" I said with a frown.

"What. Did. You. Do. To. Katie?" Barbara repeated slowly.

Barbara, my oldest friend and used to be crush. Sometimes I forget that she knows absolutely everything about me. Well, except for the Robin part... I hope.

"What makes you think I did anything?" I stated.

She got aggressive and grabbed my tie, pulling me closer to her.

"What did you do Richard!?"

I shuddered, Richard, no one calls me that.
She yanked me in further, glaring at me.

"Okay, okay." I surrendered and she let me go. "I messed up Babs." I said, fixing my tie. "I said some things... Bad things."

"Like what?"

I can't talk to her about this. She doesn't know about the other side of Katie and I. If I start blabbing on about John being evil she'll use her smarts to figure it out...

She'll figure it out.

Maybe Babs can help me with fixing things with Katie. I mean, she's a girl right? She should know stuff. But I still can't tell her here.

"Can I come over to your place after school?"

Barbara looked stunned.

"Why? You haven't come over in ages." She said.

"Cause I can't explain what happened in public okay."

Her eyes widened.

"Wait... How bad is it that you can't say it in public?" She asked.

"Bad. Really, really bad."

__________________________

Zatanna's POV

"Zatanna, It is unwise that you continue to skip school." Said Red Tornado

"Don't worry Red, I'm not learning anything there anyway." I said, as I walked straight past the robot towards my room.

I opened my door and it automatically closed behind me. I jumped onto my bed and heard the crinkling of paper beneath me. I reached behind my back and pulled out a folded sheet of paper. The words 'Z stands for Zatanna' were written on it. I quickly unfolded the paper and read the message that was written.

"Z, if you're reading this then that means I successfully snuck into the cave without anyone noticing. My skills must already be improving. Anyway, I'm guessing my sister has already informed you about why I've left, again. But last time you were really pissed that I didn't contact you and tell you what was going on. So here it is.
I've left to train myself. To become better and relearn some skills. I'm gonna travel around, see places, fight people (Bad people of course) And I'm gonna try to be a better person.
I understand If you want to hate me. I understand If you don't even read this. But I just wanted you to know that I'm fine. I'll always be fine. So don't worry about me.
Goodbye Z, Live a happy life.

Love: a guy in a creepy Skull mask.

Ps. Have you seen my mask? I dropped it somewhere and can't find it.

The letter brought a smile to my face. He actually said goodbye this time, he's learning.

Tensions between Katie and Dick continue, Zatanna receives a letter from John, Jason now lives in Wayne Manor.
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN NEXT!!!

Find out next time, on Pokemo—I mean The Heroes and The Villains!

Ocelots are cats