Chapter 47: Zatanna's Revenge

By the time we entered the Batcave, Alfred had already gotten Dick onto the operation table. Wally was standing outside the medbay, frantically tapping his foot. With his speed it just looked like a blur.
Batman didn't take much notice of the speedster. He was too worried about his son. He opened the door to the medbay. I was going to follow him in until he turned and ordered me to stay.
I was about to protest but the door was already closed.
Anger started to rise in me. Why couldn't I see him? I need to see him. I have to know if he's okay.
I slumped down onto a nearby chair.
What if he doesn't make it?
He lost a lot of blood. The knife may have punctured his heart or another important organ.
What if he doesn't make it?
What would I do? Would I find a way to bring him back like he did for me? Or would I just have to live with the fact that he's dead? Would I just have to move on?.... How would I move on? He's the only boy I've ever really trusted. He's the first person I've ever loved. How could I possibly move on?

I couldn't.

I would hate my life. Hate everyone and everything. I wouldn't live, I'd just grieve. And wish death would take me quicker.
Am I exaggerating?
I wish I was. It all sounds too cheesy to be the truth... But it is the truth.

I can live without my mother.

I can live without my father.

I can (nearly) live without my brother.

But theres no way I can live without my lover.

I can't live without Richard Grayson.

I heard a sob to the side of me. I turned to see that it was Jason. His eyes were teary, but he tried hard to hide them.

"Jason?" I questioned.

The boy looked at me and almost burst.

"Whats wron..."

"I'm sorry Katie!" The kid cut me off with his tears. "It's my fault. Dicks gonna die because of me. Because of my stupidness."

I was taken aback by what he said. Why would it be Jason's fault?

"Why would you think that Jason?"

"Beca- because if I wasn't so angry at Johns death. I wouldn't have gone after the Joker. And Dick wouldn't have gotten stabbed. Its my- my fault." The boy sobbed so much he ended up getting the hiccups.

I quickly grasped his hand. He looked at me and I smiled at him.
If anything, Dicks stabbing was my fault more than Jason's. If I was paying more attention, I would've seen the Joker get electrified awake and sneak up behind us. I would've been able to stop it.

"Its not your fault Jason. He got injured because we weren't paying attention. You had nothing to do with it." I reassured him.

He shook his head at me.

"You wouldn't have been in that situation if it wasn't for me."

I didn't reply to him. I just wrapped my arms around him and pulled him into a hug. Another sob came out of Jason.

"Its not your fault Jason." I comforted him. "It's not your fault."

He stopped sobbing and just stayed in my arms.
Sometimes, with the way this kid acts, its easy to forget that he's only eight.
Wally, who I'd totally forgot existed, stopped tapping his foot and looked at me hugging the boy. I don't know what went through his mind to make him say what he said.