Prolog

"GET DOWN THERE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!" My dad yelled at me as he threw me into the basement as my mom chained me to the floor. They left leaving me with nothing but a single candle to light the basement. I sighed. My name is Okotte. My parents lock me in their basement every time I do something as little as breathing wrong. Today I didn't wash the dishes before I left for school. For punishment, I stay in the basement for a week with our food or water and only coming out for school. My mom is a teacher there so I can't eat there. I have only one friend at school who tells me to run away. I'm only ten so I could never live on my own by myself. His name is Doragon. It means Dragon in Japanese. My name means Mad. I have purple hair and black eyes. Doragon has red fiery hair red and brown eyes.

   I absolutely love him

I absolutely love him. Not like I have a crush on him but like as a brother. He sneaks me food when I'm 'grounded'.
I looked at the small flame. It reminded me of Doragon. Not only do dragons breath fire but he was the light to my dark world. Yeah I know it's cheesy and cliché but it's true. Not only that but I broke the fourth wall because stories and games don't need a Donald Trump building great walls. Anyway, I stared at the flame and made stories out of the flame. I smiled at my only entertainment. I fell asleep only to wake up to my parents yelling. I groaned and tried falling asleep again.
  That morning I woke up to a stinging pain on my back. I turned my head to see my dad with a whip.
  "Get up you worthless trash. Time for school. Wash up and cover your back." My dad growled. I nodded and got up noticing my chain were unlocked. I walked up stairs to my room(a big closet) and toke a red shirt and jeans off of the rack in front of my door. I changed and went downstairs and picked up my backpack from the hanger. I waited for my mom and she came downstairs in a few minutes.
  "Let's go." She said firmly. I sighed and followed behind her. We walked to school in utter silence. When we got to school my mom told me not to talk about last night or she would do something ten times worse. I nodded and walked to the play ground looking for Doragon. Some kids came by and pushed me but I just ignored them.
  "Doragon? Where are you?" I called out.
  "I'm right here. Sorry I'm late." I turned around and he was there with a huge smile on his face.
  "It's ok. I missed you!" I said hugging him.
  "I missed you too. Are you grounded again?" He asked hugging me back.
  "Yeah." I said hugging him tighter. He started rubbing my back and hit on of the cuts my dad gave me. I hissed in pain.
  "Are you ok? Let me see your back!" He demanded.
  "Let's go out to the field first. I don't want any of the teachers to see." I said as we walked to the far corner of the field. I hid behind a tree and pulled up the back of my shirt. I felt as Doragon traced the cut he hit with his hand. I smiled. "I'm fine though. No need to worry."
  "I need to worry. You're my best friend and your hurt. These cuts could get infected. We got to clean them." He said pulling out a first aid kit from his backpack. Ever since he found out my parent hurt me like this he brought one to school and helped with the cuts.
  "Thanks." I said shyly as he wiped my cuts with a disaffected wipe. I hissed in pain.
  "Sorry. It's going to sting. You know that." He said in a worried tone.
  "Yeah I know." I sighed.
  "When are you going to run away. I told you that you can come live with me. That or we can run away together. Just me and you."
  "That sounds nice, but we can't live together by ourselves. We would never last."
  "I think we can." I turned my head to look at him and he was smiling.
  "You're so cute Doragon." I giggled ruffling his hair. He blushed and pouted.
  "I'm not cute." He pouted.
  "Whatever. Let's get to class." I said standing up.
  "Yeah. Ok. Be careful with your cuts."
  "Whatever mom." I laughed.
  "I better not be compared to your mom. She's horrible."
  "Ok fine your compared to your mom."
  "Better." He smiled. He grabbed my hand and we walked to class. (These kids are ten remember that)

~~~~~Time Skip to After School~~~~~

  After school my mom waited for me outside my class. I smiled and walked toward her. She put on a fake good guy act and hugged me. For a second I thought this was a real hug. I enjoyed it yet she threw me off of her. I sighed as I regained balance. I looked back at Doragon and he ran and hugged me tight.
  "Meet me at school on Saturday. Pack your stuff." He whispered in my ear.
  "Yeah. Ok." I whispered back and hugged him tight. "I'm going to miss you." 
  "I'm gonna miss you too. Hey Okotte?"
  "Yeah?"
  "I...I love you." He stuttered out.
  "I love you too." I said as I pulled back. I waved bye and walked off with my mom. I wanted to reach to grab her hand but she wouldn't like if I did.

~~~~Time Skip to Saturday~~

  I had my stuff in my bag and ready to go. I peeked out of my room and no one was around. My parents were asleep. I snook downstairs and toke a few snacks. I closed my bag and walked to the door. I took a deep breath.
  "Good bye." I whispered and opened the door closing it quietly. I started running to the school. I saw Doragon by our little tree. He also had a bag filled to the brim. I smiled and ran to him. I wrapped my arms around him holding him close to me. He hugged back. Tears ran down my face.
  We did as he said, we ran away. I'm glad we did...but...soon after when we were about twelve, Doragon suddenly disappeared. I lost it that day. Cried and cried. I toke a knife that I toke for self defense and stabbed a tree. For some odd reason, I enjoyed the way it felt swinging the knife around. That's when my job began.