Prologue

Piper's phone vibrated in her hand. She sighed and looked at who sent the text. It was her mom, asking her to come home immediately since the moving truck had already left. She looked up the group of people she had known since she was just 4 years old, tears springing to her eyes. Her best friend since kindergarten, Madison or Maddie as everyone liked to call her, stepped forward first.

"I'm going to miss you so much", she whispered, a single tear rolling down her cheek. Piper took her hand and held it tightly as she looked Maddie in the eye and said with the utmost sincerity, "Me too. Things aren't going to be the same without seeing you everyday. But I promise, I won't replace you. Ever. You'll always be my best friend". A hug completed the moment, every special memory the two shared together running through each girl's head. 

Piper released Maddie as a tall, athletic looking boy stepped up, smirking as he stated, "You two better stop, or I'm going to find you a hotel room". Piper playfully slapped him on the shoulder as Ashton, her next door neighbour since birth, pouted and pretended to hold his so-called injured shoulder. A smile was shared between the two of them as he opened his arms for a hug. 

"I'm gonna miss walking into your house every morning for pancakes, Pipe. Maybe your mom can send me some care packages". A normal morning routine for Piper consisted of coming downstairs only to find Ashton already seated at the breakfast bar with her little brother, almost always enjoying a stack of freshly made pancakes.
"I think your parents might actually like to see you in the morning sometimes, Ash", she says, laughing at the fond memories she has of him with syrup covered hands. 

Their hug ends a minute later, signifying the time. Piper's phone vibrates again, with yet another text from her mom, telling her to come home at once or they were leaving without her. She begins to walk away, looking back once more at her second family. Maddie has finally broken down in tears with one last "I love you" exchanged. A rare expression came over Ashton's face as he turned to Piper and told her to take care of herself, not to let any boys take advantage of her, she's far too good for that.

With one last goodbye and some "Text me!"s called out, Piper began the walk back, looking over her shoulder to see waves and smiles. And as she did, a thought entered her mind, 'I don't think my life could get any worse'. 

Little did she know, she was very wrong.