Chapter 44

I knock lightly on Carter's door, 3 times one after the other. I don't hear a response, so curiously, I push the door open. Carter is perched in his bed, reading a book. It's something he's really gotten into the past few months and I'm glad. Video games can get a bit violent sometimes and it's not good for his eyes to be staring up close at a TV screen constantly, anyway.

"Hey Cart." I lean against the doorframe, hands against my sides.

"Oh, hi Pipe." He looks up for a quick second from his book, and smiles slightly.

Disappointed in his reaction, I frown. I sit on the edge of his bed next to him and peer over his shoulder.

"Watch ya reading?"

"Geronimo Stilton." He answers, head still buried in his book.

I play with my hands in my lap. "So, do you have any plans for tonight?" I glance at him out of the corner of my eye.

"Nope."

"Well, I was thinking we could have a movie night. You know, how we used to back home with Maddie and Ashton."

"Really?" His head snaps up, interest in his book suddenly lost. His eyes are bright and full of life. He looks like my little brother again.

"Yes." I laugh, "Come on, let's go downstairs."

I pull him out of bed with both my hands, his feet touching the ground first. He races down the stairs in front of me, a sudden burst of energy.

I meet him again in the living room, a knowing smirk on his face.

"You already set everything up." He turns to me, hands on his hips.

He's right. The couch is covered in blankets and pillows, Netflix is already set up on the TV to play unlimited movies, and a freshly cooked pizza and bowl of popcorn are on the coffee table.

"I knew you'd say yes, so I thought we might as well save ourselves some time and get things ready." I shrug.

Carter and I curl up on the couch with a fleece blanket each and many, many pillows. My parents are both working late again, so they won't be home until much later.

Today also happens to be Valentine's Day, and Jack, Harry and Amber all decided to go to Stacy's party. I'm okay with that, their reasons were pretty valid. They agreed that since we all only have a year and a half of high school left, they might as well go to at least one party, since they didn't know when the opportunity for an invite would present itself again.

I trust Harry not to do anything, and even though he and Amber both drink, Jack doesn't. He wants to be a good role model for Jennifer the same way I do for Carter, so he promised me he would bring them both home safely.

I sit at our regular table in the cafeteria, during our lunch hour. Harry is beside me, as per usual, and Jack and Amber are seated across from me. Harry's hand is loosely holding mine, both resting on his leg.

"Are you guys going to Stacy's party tomorrow night?" Harry asks, his deep voice creating a small echo in the empty corner we're in.

"I kinda want to, honestly." Jack confesses, leaning onto his forearms.

"Me too." Amber agrees, nodding her head at her boyfriend. "I mean, we're halfway through our junior year and then after that we only have one more year of high school. This is the first time any of us have been invited to a party, don't you dare repeat that.", she warns me, holding up her index finger and narrowing her eyes.