Chapter 67

I bound lightly down the stairs, and around the corner into the kitchen. I pass the island counter to see Carter picking halfheartedly at a piece of pizza, his head held in his hand.

I walk over to the fridge and, after staring blankly in it for a few seconds, final settle on a  juice box. I force the straw out of it's plastic wrapper and as I struggle to stab it into the pre-made hole without bending it, I try my hand in making small talk with my brother.

"Hey Cart, how was school?"

He simply shrugs his shoulders, and pops a piece of pineapple into his mouth.

I take a sip of my apple juice. "Excited for spring break? Do you think you and Jennifer will hang out lots?"

Carter just nods, blatantly ignoring my attempt to have a conversation. I sigh, and pull out the bar stool beside him. I lean my elbows on the counter as he continues to take small bites of his pizza.

"Okay Carter, I know you're mad. You have every right to be. But I still want you to know what's going on in my life, so I think it's important I tell you that Harry and I said 'I love you' to each other."

Carter whips his head around to stare at me, his one-shade-of-brown-that's-lighter-than-mine irises as wide as saucers. I suck in a deep breathe, and hold his stare.

It feels like a millennium, even though I know it's only a few seconds. Carter turns back to his plate and simply says, "Oh. So are you two going to date again?"

His response shocks me a bit, and I can tell he's not happy with the news. I decide to tell him the truth, even though it's not ideally what I want.

"I don't know. I know I hurt you by dating him, and I don't want that to happen again. So, if you don't want me to date him, then I won't. You come first." I smile reassuringly, even though my heart is aching. I have to do what's right for Carter, he's been there for me through everything and he deserves way more than what I've given him.

"Well, I still don't like Harry for hurting you and taking you away from me." Carter picks at the crust on his plate as my heart clinches. "But I want you to be happy, and if you're happy dating Harry, then I want you to."

"Really?" Hope rises through my chest, and Carter turns to meet my smile.

"Yeah, just promise me one thing. We won't have a repeat of last time, and you won't forget about me again. Nothing will change, even though you have a boyfriend."

"I promise."

I stand up, swiftly engulfing my brother in a bear hug. It feels good to hold him in my arms again, and it comforts me in a sense. It's a reminder that through all the bad things the world is going to put us through, we'll always have each other.

"You and me, together against the world." Carter whisper into my arms, and I hug him tighter.

"You and me, together against the world." I repeat back. "I love you so much, Cart."

"I love you too, Pipes."

—————————————————————————————

Night has fallen now, and the darkness creates shadows in Carter's room. We've spent the past few hours playing video games, which I've learned I'm not the best at. We attempted to play the latest version of FIFA Carter owns, but ended up settling for Lego Batman instead, thanks to my slow reflexes and lack of controller knowledge.

Carter slumps against the end of his bed, his controller dropped lazily on the floor beside him. His eyelids are drooping close, fatigue taking over. I smile at his innocence, and carefully stand up. I take the matching pair of black controllers and set them on his dresser, before turning off his Xbox.