Chapter 16

(Piper's POV)

"Alright, so how do we want to do this?" Harry's deep voice reverberates around the front entrance of the mall.

"Well, how about we split into groups of 2?" Jack suggests.

"Guys vs. girls." Amber grins, grabbing onto my arm.

Harry shrugs. "Sure. Whoever gets back here first, wins."

"Challenge accepted." I smirk at him.

Amber and I walk through the mall, having left Harry and Jack back at the main doors. We fall into a steady pace, our footsteps following the same pattern.

We walk past a store with a lit up sign. Old Navy.

"Hey, how about we go in here?" Amber points at the store.

"Sounds good." I follow her in.

"So, what are you planning on getting Harry?"

I sigh, shuffling through clothes on a rack. "I was thinking of maybe a flannel or a beanie, but those seem so impersonal."

She nods. "Hm mm. I get it, that's how I felt the first Christmas Jack and I were together. Not that you and Harry are. Together, I mean. You guys would make a great couple, but no pressure or anything." She rambles on, a panicked look appearing on her face.

"Amber, it's okay." I laugh, waving a hand in front of my face.

She breathes out a deep sigh and continues shuffling through clothes.

I turn around, about to go through another rack of plaid flannels when something catches my eye. A white graphic tee, with a cartoon scientist in the middle, looking through a microscope.

It reminds me of Harry and I's science project, which is how we became friends. Which is how I met Jack and Amber (Well, mostly Amber because Jack and I met at Carter's school that one morning, but you get the point). I guess it's a good thing the teacher wouldn't switch partners after all... whatever his name is.

I grin and walk over to the shirt. I hold it up in front of me and look it over. It looks like it would fit Harry perfectly and hopefully mean something special to him.

"Hey, what'd you find Piper?" Amber skips over to me, cheerfully.

I show her the shirt and her face lights up when I tell her the story behind it.

"Harry will love that." She nods, reassuringly.

"And hey, look what I found." She holds up a black beanie.

"It'll cover Harry's bed head. And his absurd amount of curls."

In the check out line, I scan the shelves beside me. It's mostly junky things, like silly putty or glow in the dark balls for little kids, but then I see what I've been looking for. A phone charger. I stoop to grab one and nudge Amber.

"For Jack." I explain, smiling.

She laughs. "Now you've got your thinking cap on."

(Harry's POV)

"I tried to get her tickets to a concert in Philadelphia, but the tour ended in October. So now I have no idea what to do." I sigh, looking down at my feet.

"Damn. That's bad luck man." Jack sympathizes.

"Ugh I know." I groan.

We pass a kiosk selling music stuff. I steer my feet in it's direction and Jack follows. We end up in the poster section, flipping through the ones hung on the railing.