Chapter 73

I turn out of the subdivision, making it onto a major street that will eventually take us out onto the highway. If everything goes as planned, we should drive straight out of Pennsylvania and through Ohio without any problems.

"Can you pass me a bottle of water?" I ask my brother in the seat beside me, my eyes trained on the road ahead of me.

"Harry, can you get Piper a water bottle?" Carter twists in his seat to look back at the older boy, a playful expression on his face.

"Where are they?" Harry asks, his head turning from side to side curiously.

"Oh, they're in the trunk." A sly smirk appears on my lips as I make contact with his emerald globes in the rearview mirror.

I hear the gust of air Harry exhales from his lungs as he exasperatedly unbuckles his seatbelt, and props himself onto his knees. He leans over the back seat of the minivan, searching through our bags for my requested beverage.

"They're in the back corner." Carter calls out, earning eye daggers from my boyfriend.

"Grab both bags while you're back there, please." I add, leaning my elbow onto the door as I try to contain my giggles.

Harry leans farther into the very back, his hand blindly searching for some brown paper bags. He grunts, and then swings one long, lanky leg over the top of the seats, so he's straddling the bench in a hunched position.

Carter twists in his seat again to watch, and I catch his eye. He breaks into a toothy grin, and I hold a single finger to my lips, silently telling him to be quiet. He nods, and I turn my focus back to the road.

Harry has now swung his other leg into the trunk, crouched as he pushes our suitcases around.

"Aha!" He exclaims triumphantly, snatching both bags from the carpeted floor.

He plops them onto the seat he was previously sitting on, and then proceeds to flip himself back into the middle of the van. His knee collides with the door handle, earning a grumpy "God dammit."

He bends down to search for a water bottle, rudely shoving it into Carter's open grasp. Carter hands it to me with a humorous glint in his eye, and I take it from him gratefully. I balance it in-between my knees as I struggle to untwist the cap and keep the steering wheel straight at the same time.

"Thanks man." I smirk at Harry in the mirror as I lift the bottle to my lips to take a sip. He mumbles something inaudible in return, a grin tugging ever so slightly at the corners of his mouth.

We drive in silence for a few minutes, the only sound being that of other cars whooshing past us, or the slight creak of the van itself when somebody repositions their self.

We've taken the exit onto the highway now, so it's basically one straight line until we get to the Ohio border, and I can feel excitement bubble up inside me at the thought of being one state line closer to California.

I pick up my phone, plugging it into the aux cord already connected to the ancient stereo system.

"Any music recommendations?" I ask, my thumb poised to tap on an artist.

"How about Justin Bieber?" Harry pipes up from the backseat, his mood returning to his normally cheery state.

"No!" Carter and I shout at the same time.

Harry widens his eyes and reels his head back, holding his hands up in surrender. He turns to look out the window, the sun shining through his green irises, making them look translucent.