Epilogue Part 2

Today is the day after. The day after Harry and I ended our love story, but didn't say good bye. He's coming over in 10 minutes to help me pack.

My room is filled with collapsed boxes, suitcases and duffel bags and backpacks, and piles of clothes and books and papers. Just looking at the tiny messes makes my head spin with stress.

In the midst of my never ending headache, I focus on pulling clothes from my dresser. This mostly consists of jeans and underwear amongst various pairs of sweatpants.

As I fold a pair of light wash blue jeans from hem to hem, I hear voices from outside my door and turn around curiously. I drop the pants down into my empty suitcase, peering my head nosily around the corner to the open doorway.

Carter comes in, phone in hand and with a sly grin on his face.

"Was that Harry?" I ask him authoritatively, quirking my eyebrows down the half inch of height I still claim over him.

My brother simply replies with "Perhaps." before taking a seat on the edge of my bed and making himself comfortable.

"What did you do?" I sigh harshly, picking the same pair of jeans up again and finishing the fold.

"Nothing." Carter responds, mock offence that I would ever accuse him of something unjust.

"Are you trying to get us back together?" I shoot critically, side eyeing him.

"I would never." He obnoxiously (and badly) defends himself.

I leave it at that, making my way through the jeans remaining in the pile, but not without a accusatory glance at Carter every now and then.

As I reach for a second pair of flannel pyjama pants, my phone buzzes on the table beside me. I pull it forward and peer at the screen, seeing a text from Harry.

Harold: i'm here

I leave the text unread because, as planned, Harry is parked outside the front of the house and is coming over to help Carter and I load packed boxes into the rented u-haul van, currently taking up most space in the driveway.

Unbeknownst to me, two other faces pop their heads around the corner into my room with Harry. Amber and Jack both greet me happily, and may I say loudly.

"I didn't think I'd get to see you guys before I left." I say, pulling back from a close hug with Amber.

"I have mother's intuition. I know when my best friends try to sneak off without saying good bye to me." She claims, stalking past me to take a spot near my pillows, parallel to Carter.

"Good to know?" I question, glancing at Jack for clarification.

He simply shrugs, as usual, and walks farther into the room to take a seat in my spinning desk chair.

I turn to look at Harry, who is still lingering just beyond the door way, yet not awkwardly.

I try for a small smile, desperately hoping that this won't be uncomfortable. That seems to warm him up, because he smiles right back and strolls into the room just like he has a million times before.

"They know." He says quietly as he walks past me, touching my elbow lightly, but says nothing more about.

We assign everyone duties for packing, otherwise we wouldn't get anything done. Jack and Harry take books off my shelves and stack them into boxes Carter tapes together, and in while doing so, they have a friendly competition of who can lift the largest amount of paperbacks at once.