Chapter 89

I take a deep breathe, staring at my open suitcase on my bed. We have to begin the road trip back to Pennsylvania in a few hours, and I'm dreading the good byes that are going to come with every inch of me.

Carter is on the opposite side of the room, packing his own suitcase. He hums softly to himself as he folds his pants neatly, and I wonder how he manages to stay so calm in situations like this.

I turn back around to the piles of clothes laid out on top of the comforter, not even knowing where to start. I begin to reach for my shirts and pyjamas, when I hear a knock on the door.

Maddie walks into the middle of the room, with her arms across her body. Her hair is tied in a loose bun on the top of her head, and she's wearing light wash jeans and a thin sweatshirt. A regular outfit for some, but too basic for Maddie.

"Can I steal Carter for a minute? I just want to say good bye one on one." She asks, sniffling slightly.

"Okay." He agrees, walking ahead of her out of the room.

I stay silent as she follows, but not before turning around to tell me that I'm next.

Great. I'm totally not going to turn into a blubbering idiot.

I redirect my focus back to my packing, succeeding in shoving my haphazardly folded pyjama pants and shirts into the back corner.

I begin to fold my many pairs of jeans, but I'm interrupted by Ashton coming into the room. He sits down on the bed beside me without a word, and I immediately know that the waterworks are going to start any second.

"You're leaving. Again." Ashton murmurs, picking at some loose stitching on the comforter.

"I don't want to go." I confess, pushing my suitcase up towards the pillows and sitting down next to him.

"These last few days have been so crazy. I actually got along with Harry, Maddie got played by some random asshole on my football team, we did things we thought it would be years before we could do again." He says, keeping his gaze down.

"You really like Harry, don't you?" I pry.

"I do not." He scoffs, but I know he's lying.

"Alright." I raise my eyebrows, the corner of my lips raising in a smile.

"Do you think Maddie will be okay?" I ask, meeting the blue irises that I know so well.

"Yeah, you know how strong she can be. Fragile on the outside but tough as metal on the inside." He laughs, crinkles forming in the corners of his eyes.

I nod, knowing that he's right.

"I'm really going to miss you, Ashtray." I say quietly, my voice cracking at the end of my sentence.

"I know, Bagpipes. It feels like you just got here, and now you have to go back to Pennsylvania." He sighs.

"I don't know when I'll see you again." I swallow hard, my vision blurring my view of the shag carpet.

"As soon as possible, okay? Hey, look at me." Ashton puts his hand on my knee, making my turn my head in his direction.

My eyes go to his immediately, and I notice tears pooling in the bottom of his eyes. His face is flushed and his voice is strained, as if it's taking everything he has not to burst into tears here and now.

"We'll make it work. We always do." He reassures me, and I wrap my arms around his shoulders in a hug.

He embraces me back, his body warm and familiar against mine. His rhythmical heart beat and cool breaths blowing through my hair soothe me, and I close my eyes, trying to ingrain this moment into my memory forever.