Chapter 78

It's about 11 o'clock now, and the 5 of us are sat in various spots around Ashton's living room. Harry is in the black recliner chair, with one leg propped against his other knee. Carter and I are beside each other on the large 3 seater couch I have hundreds of memories on, my feet spread on his lap.

Maddie is sprawled awkwardly over the love-seat across the room, the size of the couch perfect for her height, and I smile internally at the fact that she still has the same favourite piece of furniture from when we were kids.

Ashton brought down the bright green beanbag chair he has in his room, and plopped down with an obnoxiously loud grunt. He settled into a star fish position, which is where he now lies.

I pause the TV at the same time Maddie pulls out her phone, a deep sigh falling from her lips.

"I have to go. My mom wants me home before it gets too dark." She explains, sitting up and running her hands through her shoulder length red hair.

"I can walk you home if you want." Ashton offers, turning his head to look at her. A gentle smile is on his face, and it reminds me off all the times he's offered Maddie the same thing.

"No, it's okay. I'll text you when I get there though." Maddie replies, walking over to give me another hug.

"I'm so happy you're back, Pipes. I'll see you in the morning." I stretch up to meet her open arms, my blanket falling to the floor.

"Goodnight, Mad." I say into her shoulder, pulling back with a smile as she moves over to embrace Carter.

"Night, Carter." She wraps her arms around his shoulders from the side, her chin on the top of his head.

"Night, Maddie. See you tomorrow." He squeezes his hand around her forearm.

"I expect you all up at 6:30 so we can get the day started bright and early. Oh, and it was so nice to finally meet you, Harry." Maddie sends him one of her dazzling smiles, receiving a dimpled one from my boyfriend in return.

"It was nice to meet you too, Maddie."

She turns back to me with a delighted expression, as if she can't believe he's actually real. I swat her arm playfully, pushing her farther towards the front door.

"Go home before your mother yells at you." I laugh as she scoots out of Ashton's house with a playful grin on her face.

—————————————————————————————

The 4 of us now sit in Ashton's bedroom, having followed him upstairs to return his beanbag chair. Carter and I sit perched in his bed by his pillows, having made our selves at home. Harry, however, sits lightly at the end of the bed, clearly uncomfortable with the whole situation.

Ashton sits in his desk chair, his feet crossed on his desk. He swivels back and forth as we hold a conversation, glancing over his shoulder every now and then. A small nerf football is passed back and forth between his hands, and I secretly will him to drop it.

His half closed door creaks open, and his mother's friendly face pokes in. Mrs Wilkes is already dressed in a cotton pyjama set, seeing as it's well past midnight now.

"Well hello, everybody." She greets us with a warm, yet tired smile.

"Hi Mrs Wilkes." Carter and I say in unison, looking at the woman who is pretty much our second mother.

"Hola Mamasita." Ashton winks at her, and she puts her hands on her hips, playfully.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that." She looks at her son sternly but lovingly.