Chapter 8

Pivot! Pivot!

I giggle and turn up the volume on my laptop. Today is the day of Carter's karate match, but I still have a few hours until I have to get ready, so I decided to watch Friends on Netflix. I'm midway through season 5 and currently watching the episode where Chandler and Rachel help Ross move his new couch into his apartment using the stairs. It's one of my favourite episodes, I look forward to it every time I re-watch the series.

 The premiere for season 6 is loading so I decide to check my phone. The time says 1:30 and the karate match starts at 2:15 so I shut down my computer and force myself out of my warm bed. I go over to my closet and pull out my Green Day shirt, the one with the American Idiot album art that everyone has. I also decide on just some plain black skinny jeans and converse.

In the bathroom, I brush my teeth and check that my hair looks somewhat presentable. I also slide some hair elastics onto my wrist just because.

 Back in my bedroom, I put my phone in my back pocket and make sure to grab a pair of headphones. I walk downstairs to find my mom at the table, sorting things into her purse.

"Hey, Mom." I greet her.

"Hi sweetie. Your brother should be down any mi-" She's abruptly cut off by thundering on the stairs. Carter sticks his head over the banister. "Morning everybody!"

My mom laughs at his mistake. "It's afternoon now, but good morning to you too, Carter."

"Morning Cart." I say, smiling at him.

"Is it time to go yet, Mom? I'm sooo excited."

She looks at her watch. "Actually, yes it is. Grab your bag and let's go."

Carter tosses his bag in the back seat of the minivan and slides in beside it. I sit in the front passenger seat beside my mom and watch her turn the key in the ignition. It's a short drive to the community centre where the karate match is, but I watch Carter shift nervously in the rearview mirror.

"Hey Cart, you'll be fine. You're going to do great." I twist in my seat to face him.

"I know Pipe, but I'm still nervous. What if I really mess up and completely embarrass myself?" His entire face has gone pale and his fingers look like they're shaking.

"Carter, my mom says, "You've been practicing for this moment for the past 3 years. Listen to your sister, she's very wise." She shoots me a grin and wink.

"Okay, I'll try my best." He whispers, his voice cracking halfway through.

We pull into the parking lot at the community centre and all 3 of us search for an empty spot. After about 5 minutes, our mom decides to drop us off at the front doors so Carter isn't late. She says she'll find a spot and then join me in the bleachers. We walk into the gymnasium and Carter runs off to find his coach. I slowly make my way to the stands and find an empty corner. I stuff headphones into my ears and press shuffle.

When you've got bigger plans that no one else understands

You've got a shot though

They say we're losers and we're alright with that

We are the leaders of the not-coming-back's