Chapter 56

"Okay, have a nice day everyone." Ms Richardson shuffles the pile of papers on her desk as the class files out of the room for class change.

I take one step out of the door when I hear my name.

"Piper? Can I talk to you for a moment?"

I hold back a sigh and turn around. I put the best fake smile I can manage onto my lips and walk over to Ms Richardson.

"What's up?"

"Well, I couldn't help but notice that you seemed quite distracted during class. Is everything alright with you?"

A lump rises in my throat as the back of my eyes burn with tears. They can tell. You can't even do a good enough job of hiding it anymore

I couldn't stop thinking about Harry all class. His green eyes, chocolate coloured curls, naturally tanned skin and his single cheek dimple. It doesn't help that he sits right behind me, or the fact that Stacy is across the room from us.

"I'm fine. Just tired." I reassure Ms Richardson, choking back a sob.

"Okay. You know where to find me if you need someone to talk to." She smiles warmly.

I nod and speed walk out of the classroom, my breathing increasing by the second. I slouch against a wall, letting my emotions overtake me.

Maddie and Ashton were always able to calm me down in moments like this, but now that they're not here, I'm all alone.

I need to be with them in California, in my home. I need the warm weather, the palm trees, and the beach. I need Maddie's advice and Ashton's hugs. I need my old home and my old school. I need California. So that's what I'll do

I'm going to California.

—————————————————————————————

I scroll through my laptop screen, searching for an affordably priced bus ticket. I need one that won't cost my entire bank account, since I need a ticket back to Pennsylvania, too. My plan is to stay out there for about a week, give or take a few days. I don't have to worry about a motel or anything though. I'll just stay at Ashton's house (his parents love me), and even though they won't be fond of the idea that I "ran away from home", they won't kick me out into the streets. Even if they do, there's always Maddie's attic to hide in.

I turn my attention back to my laptop screen, clicking onto the next page. The first available ticket says:

Departure Date: March 6, 2017 @ 9:30 AM

Transfer: Oklahoma City

Price: $100.00 USD

I click on that one instantly. After skimming through a bit more information, such as the bus number and the transfer details, I click on purchase ticket. From there, I enter in my banking information and send the ticket to print through the printer in my dad's office.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to transfer buses and just be able to get a one-way ride to California, but that's okay. It just means I'll have to be gone a few more days to include travel.

I sneak downstairs into my dad's office. The ticket is just finishing printing, so I tap my fingers impatiently against the oak stained table it sits on, snatching the paper the second it comes through the flap.

In the kitchen, I grab a few granola bars and snack bags of goldfish crackers, but not enough that it looks like a suspicious amount is missing. I also pull two bottles of water from the fridge, and quietly make my way back upstairs with my loot of goods.

In my room, I empty my backpack of school related items. I set my binders and books in the back of my closet. I pull out every pair of jeans I own, which is actually quite a few that all happen to be black skinnies. I pack all but one pair into my backpack, needing something to wear tomorrow. I pull out a few pairs of pyjama pants, all my socks and underwear and pack those as well. I yank some shirts off hangers in my closet and choose two hoodies from the bottom drawer of my dresser.

I inch the zipper closed slowly on my backpack. I nod, satisfied. Everything actually fits in there quite well.

I pack my water and snacks into the small pocket at the front, making a mental note to get my toiletries in the morning. I won't take any soaps, but I will pack my toothbrush and some female items... because you know, I need those right now.

I hide my bus ticket in my bedside table, just in case somebody comes into my room. I don't want it lying out in the open, where anyone can see it.

I sit down in my desk chair and rip out a piece of lined paper from an extra coiled notebook I have. I grab a pen and twirl it between my fingers as I try to figure what what I want to write.

Hi...

By the time you read this, I'll be on a bus, on my way to California. I have a transfer in Oklahoma, so maybe I'll do a little sightseeing while I'm there. Who knows?

Anyway, I just wanted to write this to tell you that yes, I'm going to California, yes, I'm okay, and no, I haven't been kidnapped.

I should be gone for a little over a week. If you haven't heard from me ten days from now starting tomorrow, call the cops. I've been kidnapped.

I know I shouldn't do this, it's not safe and running away from your problems is never the answer, but I don't know what else to do. I just need to spend sometime back home with Maddie and Ashton and rediscover the real me. I think my perspectives and priorities have gotten a little mixed up over these past few months.

So bye for now. I'll see you soon.

Piper

(Yes, Cart, I'll tell Maddie and Ashton you say hi)