Chapter 35

Author's Note: 

A/N's will be at the bottom from now on :-)

Harry's POV

(Chapter 31)

"It's almost 2017 bitches!" Amber shouts as she walks down the basement stairs. Jack laughs as he follows behind her and he takes a seat on the couch.

"Nice to see you too." I wave sarcastically, picking up the TV remote to flip through the channels.

"Feeling any better today, Har?" Jack asks sympathetically as he decides to instead throw his legs over the arm rest and sprawl out lazily on the couch.

"Nope." I respond, popping the 'p'. I end up changing the station to a marathon of Border Security episodes. I don't watch it a ton, but when I do, I always enjoy it.

"Okay, I'm going to get something to eat. Anyone want anything?" Amber asks, patting Jack on his stomach fondly.

"Jellybeans!" He hollers down the hallway.

"I'm good, thanks." I mutter, even though Amber's already made it upstairs.

I turn my attention back to the TV, sitting forward on the couch cushion. The current commercial playing cuts back to the show, and the intro song begins. The tune sings out loudly, resonating in my brain. The sirens of the police cars in the introduction clip blare and the lights flash blue and red.

"Hey, remember that talent show we had at school in the 6th grade?" Jack asks, randomly.

"Yeah?"

"I wanted to sing this song." He reveals, solemnly nodding his head.

I laugh loudly, a mental picture playing in my head. It feels good to laugh, like everything's okay again for just a minute.

And then I hear a voice I didn't think I would be hearing again for a long long time.

"Hey guys."

I whip my head around to the left, and standing only a few feet away from me is Piper, dressed in skinny jeans, a plain black shirt and her favourite red flannel.

I stand up like a rocket and stare at her with an unwavering glance from my bright green eyes, wide with shock.

Jack shifts around to grin at Piper and gives a small wave.

"Hi Piper. I'm glad you could make it tonight."

She laughs softly. "Me too."

Now this makes sense. They were all in on it, Jack and Amber set me up.

She turns her attention back to me and shakily takes a few steps away from Amber and towards me, ending up with about a two foot difference between us.

"Do you think that we could maybe, talk? Just the two of us?" She asks shyly, focusing her eyes somewhere along my upper torso.

"Yeah, of course." My voice is weirdly low and creaky, like I just woke up.

Amber quickly sits herself down beside Jack and shows him something on her phone, making way for us to walk through the basement.

Memories flood back as I lead Piper up the stairs, past the place where the mistletoe was hanging just a few days ago, and up a second flight of stairs into my bedroom.

I close the door behind us but this time Piper doesn't wait for me to say anything. She begins her speech, pacing in short laps beside my bed.

"Okay, so if I'm being honest, what happened the other night scared the shit out of me. I've never been good with trusting people, and if I do, it takes me a long time. A lot longer than 4 months."