Chapter 64

I sit in the living room, my feet propped on the coffee table and the TV remote in hand. I continue channel surfing in my plaid pyjama pants and ratty old t shirt, when the door bell rings.

I sit up from my slouched position, and drop the remote onto the couch cushion beside me. It's currently a Sunday afternoon, and Carter went with my parents to do some shopping. I, however, elected to stay home, for obvious reasons. (Mainly the fact that my mother can't even look at me without a face of disgust).

I walk over to the front door, curiosity getting the better of me. It's probably UPS or something to deliver a package.

I scrunch my hair up into a messy ponytail, and open the door. On the other side is not a scruffy, beer bellied, middle aged man as expected, but instead a clean shaven, slightly muscular, teenage boy.

Harry.

My eyes meet his, and I am immediately pulled into the infinite traps of his green irises. I search beyond the facade, and the only thing I can see is an apology- I'm sorry.

I pull myself out of the traps yanking me in like quicksand by the second, and back to reality. I begin to shut the door, but Harry grabs the edge and forces it back open. I really don't want to deal with your bullshit today.

I stare at him challengingly, my eyebrows raised and mouth parted slightly.

"Look, I know you don't want to talk to me and I'm probably the last person on Earth you want to see right now, but there's something I have to tell you. It's been eating me alive for weeks, and you need to know." Harry takes a deep breath and looks me in the eyes again, this time differently.

It's as if he's being pulled into quicksand/eye traps by me now, and can see inside my soul. Every singe one of my memories, secrets and thoughts are vulnerable now, and he has complete power to do what he wants with them.

"I love you, Piper."

My chest tightens, and in this moment, I stop functioning. My brain goes dark, my legs numb, and my defence walls higher brick by brick. 

I tense my jaw and, fumbling for the door knob, slam the door in Harry's face. The loud noise echoes throughout my empty house, and it continues to ring in my ears for what feels like a millennium.

I lean back against the door, my mind racing. My breaths are short and ragged, and I feel my face heat with an impending flood of tears. My legs are shaky, but the feeling has returned. My stomach has found it's way back to my body, and although it continues to stir uncomfortably, the ache is comfortingly familiar.

My head rests against the dark oak wood, my hand still wrapped around the knob. The muscles in my wrist are tight, and I can only imagine how white my knuckles are.

Okay, think. Think, think, think. Harry just told me he loves me. Do I love him back? Of course I do. I realized this long ago, and then all this drama happened before I got the chance to tell him. Should I? Should I tell Harry I love him now? Yeah, I think I should.

I yank the front door back open, and to my relief, Harry is still standing on my front porch. His back is towards me, but he turns around slowly, pure shock the only thing evident on his face.

I step out of my house, my bare feet tingling against the cold cement. Harry stops moving, his eyes scanning me up and down repeatedly. His lips are parted slightly, forming a small 'O' in between.

I stand in front of him, only this time I'm not angry, or scared, or annoyed. I'm happy, because I'm the only one who knows what's going to happen next.