Chapter 113

Mid-May- Senior Year

I stand in my room, staring back at my reflection. My graduation sits on my shoulders and covers my body all the way down to my knees, the black material feels thick and heavy and I wonder how hot the lights will be walking across the stage.

On my head sits a matching cap, the colour of ebony. I keep the tassel off to the right side, itching for the moment I can switch it to the left. My collarbones show Harry's necklace, the one of silver and musicality. I haven't taken it off since Christmas Eve, the first time I wore it. I sleep with it, I shower with it, and I twirl it in between my fingers when no one is looking except for him.

Our graduation ceremony is in a few days, after the last of exams finally finish. The seniors get to complete our classes about two weeks before all the other grades, due to convocation and ceremony rehearsals.

I turn back and forth, noting how the gown swishes obnoxiously against my legs. I'm wearing leggings and a plain black shirt underneath it, because there is no way in hell I'm putting a dress on, for it to be hidden at the ceremony or to flash around during convocation. Especially not after what happened the last time I wore one; prom night is special in my heart for many reasons, but that isn't one of them.

It's been a little over a month now since I turned 18, and almost 4 since Harry's birthday. It's safe to say he was a little bit excited about turning legal age, finally becoming an adult.

My room has had some decorative changes made to it in the past months. I still haven't hung anything on the walls, but I put a rug in front of my bed, bought a full length mirror for the corner, reorganized my closet, choose some different drapes for my window and finally made it my own as much as I could. It isn't home, it's never gonna be, but I think it's finally close enough.

I've continued my part time job since the beginning of the year, and I've made friendly relationships with many of my co-workers and managers. I've planted roots for myself here, in this city with these people, but I don't know if I'm going to pull them up or not.

"Can I come in?" A voice startles me and I jump slightly, seeing the girl in the mirror do the exact same thing.

I turn to my right, seeing Carter with his head poked around my half closed before door. His face falls when his eyes meet my front, eyes glued to the black garments, and I notice right away. I always do.

"Of course." I answer, taking one last fleeting glance at myself in the glass.

Carter takes a seat on the foot of my bed, and I walk the few steps over to perch myself next to him. Our legs touch, though mine still stretch out farther across the floor.

"When is your ceremony?" He asks, still staring at my gown.

"May 30th at 6. You're coming, right?" I reply, panic rising within my in bones at the thought of my younger brother not being there to watch me graduate.

"Duh. I wouldn't miss watching you trip and fall across the stage." He says, smirking.

I elbow him gently in the ribs, rolling my eyes.

"Have you been talking to Ashton?" I ask, narrowing my eyes as Carter sheepishly looks up at me.

"Perhaps." His voice wanders off as he rubs his lips together.

Carter is now approaching his 14th birthday, and just like last year, I've noticed his rapid growth of maturity. His arrival into high school is racing towards us, and the feeling of deja vu is both nostalgic and eye opening at the same time. I feel young again and old simultaneously.