Chapter 39

Carter's POV

(Chapter 32)

I step out of the exit doors, looking around wildly for Piper. I spot her over to the left by the parking lot, Jack, Amber and Harry standing next to her.

I watch her cup her hands around her mouth and call out, "Carter. Hamel.", in a robotic voice. Harry copies her actions, echoing my last name.

"Hamel...amel...amel.", his voice growing quieter with every syllable.

I grin at Jennifer, who's standing beside me.

"Race you!" I yell, not even giving her a chance to react.

My legs are longer than hers, so I have the obvious advantage.

I skid to a halt in front of the 4 teenagers, "What's...going...on?, I ask, stammering between struggled breaths. I tilt my head slightly to see Jennifer by my side again.

Usually I have karate after school, but in the past when it's been cancelled and Piper's come to pick me up, it's been just her.

"Everything's fine, don't worry." Piper laughs.

"We're just going to the community centre to study", She gestures beside her, "So we thought you and Jennifer might like to come."

"Yes!" Jennifer and I high five each other.

I really like Jennifer. Like, I don't want her to be my girlfriend or anything because that's gross, but I just think she's really pretty.

—————————————————————————————

"Come on, let's go play soccer!" I grab Jennifer's hand and drag her towards the gymnasium, not bothering to see if she's keeping up with my pace.

This is the same spot where I won my karate match, and I still remember the referee handing me my trophy and Jennifer congratulating me by kissing me on the cheek. I look over at her and she smiles at me. I think she remembers too.

We each pull a floor soccer net out from the storage room, claiming a small corner of the busy gymnasium for ourselves. Jennifer is on the soccer team at school and plays through the community, so she gets lots of practice and comes here a lot.

I, on the other hand, enjoy soccer just as much, but I only play it in gym class or at recess. Therefore, I'm not as good as her, and she sneaks the ball past me an impressive amount of times.

We play for the best 2 out of 3, and Jennifer wins, not surprisingly.

We put away the soccer ball and the nets so somebody else can use them, and we agree to go see what we can raid from the vending machines.

(Chapter 33)

I put my book face down on the pillow beside me and furrow my eyebrows. What is that? It sounds like there's a banging noise coming through the walls, towards the right. I shake my head, annoyed, and pick my book back up. I'm currently reading Geronimo Stilton, and loving it. My parents gave me a box set for Christmas, and I'm on the third instalment so far.

There it is again. I toss my book down again in a huff. I stand up and shuffle across the hallway to the bathroom Piper and I share. I check in there; behind the door, behind the shower curtain, in the cabinets under the sink.

I put my hands on my hips and sigh. I can still hear the noise, only louder now. I walk a few more steps towards Piper's room, where the noise becomes clear as day.