Chapter 3: Reunited

Ash got up bright and early, before the Pokemon centre was even close to opening again. He ran to a phone, his excited movements waking up Pikachu. Ash wanted to call his friends early, to give them the good...or half good news. He knew they'd probably be at the Pokemon centre right before Glorio city to he gave them a call there, hoping they wouldn't have left yet.

The phone rang three times before Nurse Joy answered. She eyed Ash on the video screen that the phones had and said, "is there something I can help you with, young man?"

"Yeah, please," Ash began, "sorry I'm calling so early, but I wanted to catch my friends before they left. I'm hoping they're there. Serena-"

A loud scream interrupted him, but not an angry or scared scream. One of excitement. "ASH!" Bonnie shouted. "I miss you! Did you see-"

Nurse Joy interrupted. "I'm sorry, but I'm guessing these are your friends. I'll let the others on as well. She stepped aside and Serena's and Clemont's faces joined Bonnie's on screen. Clemont smiled broadly and Serena blushed and squeaked an excited, "Ash!"

"Hi guys, how's it going?" Ash asked.

Bonnie did most of the talking. She explained how their journey had gone since they were separated and was just starting to explain about meeting the group of Pidgey and Pidgeotto when Serena interrupted. "No Bonnie, I think we should leave that as a surprise for Ash."

Ash squinted at the screen confused. "Leave what as a surprise? I mean its cool you saw some Pidgey and Pidgeotto, but I've seen them before."

Bonnie grinned. "Oh yes we know that." She said mischievously. Serena nudged her and she stayed quiet.

"So what's new with you, Ash?" Serena asked. "Is Noivern alright?"

"Actually yeah, he's great. That's why I called. Now before I explain, I still don't think I'll make the performance, but I'm able to leave today. Noivern has healed up really well. I was hoping to fly him to Glorio City, but Nurse Joy said I shouldn't take any chances."

Serena's eyes widened with excitement. She knew Ash didn't know, but he might actually make the performance. "That's great Ash. I-" Bonnie nudged her and winked at her. The little girl grabbed her brother and started pulling him away, while he yelped and asked what she was doing.

"What's that about?" Ash asked.

Serena blushed and glanced nervously at Bonnie and Clemont. "Um..."

All of a sudden there was a scream behind Ash. Again, not a scream of fear or pain, but of delight. Ash spun around to see Nurse Joy who had just opened up the curtains of the Pokemon centre, and next to her an excited looking Pikachu, staring at a large, beautiful and extremely powerful looking Pokemon on the other side of the window. It was pecking at the window and looking at Ash. Ash watched it for a moment, forgetting he was on the phone. He stared into the Pokemon's eyes. "No way...Pidgeot?"

Serena beamed on her end of the phone. "That's the surprise Ash! We met Pidgeot and we were able to figure out he wanted to find you. And don't worry, he's made his friends in his flock really brave and I think he wants to stay with you."

Ash was at a loss for words apparently, which was something that didn't happen often. "I'm gonna make it to your showcase." He said still staring at Pidgeot, drinking in the sight of his old friend. "Wow, Serena. How did you know it was mine?"

Serena blushed for what she thought was the fiftieth time on this phone call. "Clemont said your name and that's when Pidgeot flew down, but that wasn't the only thing. We read about how Pidgeot needs an extremely powerful and loyal trainer and how it can sense when their trainer is near. I knew it had to be you. I don't think I can describe anyone the same way." She felt her cheeks burning like fire, but continued to smile. She loved seeing Ash so happy.