Chapter 58: Opening Ceremonies

"Well, Ash, I think it's time to go," Clemont said, looking at the clock in the room. At those words, Ash was up from the computer, where he'd just been double checking the Pokemon he'd registered and he was putting on his hat.

"I can't wait!" Ash yelled, pumping his fist in excitement. He gave an embarrassed smile to Serena and Bonnie who had both winced at the yell. "I've been waiting so long for this. There's nothing like a Pokemon League. It all comes down to this."

"So do you need to go anywhere special?" Serena asked, adjusting her ribbon, almost like it was a nervous tick.

"Uh..." Ash paused, thinking about that. Usually the competing trainers had to assemble somewhere. He probably should've figured that out. "I'm not sure..."

Before Serena and the Lumiose siblings could scold Ash for his cluelessness, there was a knock at the door. Alain's voice followed. "Hey Ash, you there?"

"Yeah!" Ash called, running to the door and opening it. He was surprised to see Alain, Trevor and Tierno all there. Nobody else was with them. "What's up?" Ash asked, his confusion apparent on his face.

"All the competing trainers need to gather at the main arena," Alain explained, looking slightly amused. "We should probably head over there." He looked behind Ash at Serena, Bonnie and Clemont. "Mairin and the others will meet you three soon. Spectators can watch from the stands."

"Sure," Serena said, giving Ash an excited smile. "Have fun, Ash. I'll see you after."

"Of course!" Ash said happily, giving her a thumbs up. "You three have fun as well. Make sure to cheer me on."

"Battles only start tomorrow," Bonnie said, looking at Ash like he was crazy.

"I know," Ash said, as Pikachu hopped onto his shoulder and Greninja stepped beside him, "but I still need to see where you guys are. I'll wave to you in the crowd." For some reason, that seemed to excite Bonnie, so she nodded with wide and excited eyes.

With one last wave, Ash, Pikachu and Greninja set off behind Alain, Trevor and Tierno. Butterfree and his family decided to stay with the others, presumably to let Greninja and Pikachu have the focus.

"Why is Greninja staying out of his pokeball?" Trevor asked, fiddling with his camera. Ash noticed he was being particularly fidgety with it.

"I feel like Greninja deserves to get the full experience here," Ash answered, giving Greninja a smile. "He was the key to beating Wulfric and Mega Abomasnow."

"Wulfric has a Mega Abomasnow?" Trevor and Tierno asked at the same time.

"Yeah," Ash nodded, looking surprised that they didn't know. Then he remembered Wulfric told him he only used mega evolution for the best challengers, so he decided not to mention that.

"Neither of us were able to beat him and he didn't even use mega evolution," Tierno explained, looking a little intimidated now, as he glanced at Greninja.

"That was a long time ago, though," Trevor said, looking surprisingly confident. He again fidgeted with his camera. "I think Wulfric would have a hard time against me now."

"Yeah," Tierno agreed, pulling out a pokeball and smiling at it, "Blastoise and I are a lot stronger. All my Pokemon are. Our dancing is in top form."

Ash smirked. "Hopefully we get to battle. I'd like to see it."

Tierno laughed nervously. "Ha...yeah, Ash. Um...let's just hope we don't meet too early. That'd really suck."

Alain, who had been quiet up until now, looked at Trevor. "So Trevor," he said, "Ash mentioned you have a Charmeleon."

"Actually, he's a Charizard now," Trevor announced proudly. "He's really strong." Again, his hand flitted to his camera. Ash just decided to assume it was like Serena fidgeting with her ribbon. It didn't mean too much. "You have a Charizard as well, don't you?"