Chapter 33: The Real First Day

Serena and her Pokemon stopped at a quiet little area outside Lumiose City. It was close enough to easily see the city, but just far enough away to avoid too much of the noise. It was a perfect spot to relax, under a tree and close to the river. Just the place she would have stopped at if still travelling with Ash and the others.

The four of them just sat and relaxed for about an hour. Serena brushed Delphox's fur, while Sylveon stretched out and took a nap. Pancham did some exploring around the river. For the first time since leaving Geosenge Town after fighting off Team Flare, Serena felt comfortable. Once they'd run into Sawyer, things had all kind of unravelled. With Greninja leaving, meeting Palermo and then Ash losing his gym match, culminating in the end of their relationship, Serena hadn't really had time to relax and enjoy things.

Suddenly, Pancham jumped away from the river. He yelled out in excitement. "Pan! Pancham!" He was animatedly pointing at the river.

Serena immediately stood up. She ran over to stand next to Pancham, Delphox and Sylveon behind her. "What is it Pancham? Are you ok?" She asked, looking into the river.

Pancham waved his arms as if to dismiss her concern. She realized he had a bit of a happy look to him. He then looked at Delphox. "Cham! Pan-pancham!" He yelled, pointing again at the river.

Delphox's eyes widened. "Del?" She leaned forward, peering into the river. She then looked around, hope in her eyes.

"I don't understand." Serena said. It was times like this she wished she had Ash's ability to understand Pokemon. It could be really frustrating, trying to understand them, especially when they got so excited.

"What are they so excited about?" Serena turned around and was stunned to see the challenger that had easily beaten Clemont, Mauve. Serena couldn't really see her facial expression because of the scarf, hood and glasses, but she sensed the woman was mocking her. "You look pathetic. I've been waiting to find you alone."

"What? Me?" Serena suddenly felt pure fear. She was alone except for her Pokemon. Even so, they weren't exactly the best of battlers. If Mauve was going to attack her, she didn't know what she was going to do.

"Yes..." Mauve took a step forward, pulling a pokeball from her pocket. "I want to make him suffer. Hurting you will make my revenge so much sweeter..."

Pancham stepped forward, ready to fight, while Delphox and Sylveon positioned themselves at Serena's sides. "What are you talking about?" Serena asked. What possible reason could this woman have for wanting to attack her? What kind of revenge was she talking about?"

Mauve laughed and tossed her pokeball forward and the Pyroar that had wiped the floor with Clemont emerged. "Pyroar, use flamethrower."

It opened its jaws so fast that Serena knew her Pokemon would be too slow to counter. She had no idea what was about to happen. She knew the power of that Pyroar, so it definitely wasn't going to be good. She braced herself and closed her eyes.

To her amazement, Serena felt nothing. She thought she must have been hit, but then realized that she would have had to feelsomething. At least a push, or maybe hear a yell from her Pokemon. She opened her eyes slowly and saw Mauve whipping her head around wildly.

"He's here? Where is he? I thought you were alone." She seemed somewhat hysterical. She turned her attention back to Serena. "You're lucky this time, girl." She paused. "At some point I'll have my revenge. Just you wait...I'll embarrass him and show the world my power." She then turned and ran off, recalling her Pyroar to its pokeball.

Serena looked at her Pokemon, who were all staring behind her, in shock, towards the river. She turned around as well, but didn't see anything. "What is it?" She supposed something about what Pancham had seen before was the reason for her being saved from Mauve. She then noticed Delphox, eyeing the river with longing. "Delphox, are you ok?" She asked.