Colorful Love

Arthur drearily trudged into his local coffee shop. He has hated mornings for as long as he could remember, but he had to live with it. Much like he had to live with seeing only in black and white. Why, you ask? Well he's been like this for his whole life. Many people have, but recently all his friends have been able to see color and he was so jealous. You see, Arthur lives in a world where people see in black and white until they meet their soulmate. Being twenty-three, Arthur had a lot of time left, but it made him jealous that his friends have all found their soulmates and are now able to see in color. 

----------

"Whatever..." He muttered and sighed as he trudged into the coffee shop, before he went to his job at a standard office building.

At the counter, there stood a man, different than the usual barista.

"Hey, dude!" The cheerful man said. "Can I take your order?" He asked.

Arthur, already annoyed today, didn't even bother trying to be nice to the man whose name tag read 'Alfred'. 

"Straight black tea. Don't mess it up-" Arthur started towards his standard seat, before jolting to a stop abruptly. Something out of the corner of his eye called out to him as 'red'. 

It was a pen on the counter. He gasped loudly and jumped, backing up, as if the pen was dangerous.

"Is something the matter?" Alfred questioned, tilting his head.

Arthur pointed with a shaky hand at the pen. It was now Alfred's turn to gasp. Everyone was taught about it. Once you met your soulmate, color would slowly spread over everything. Suddenly Arthur felt his face heat up, as he locked eye contact with Alfred. Color started to dance around Alfred and it seemed as if he was the last thing to be colored, but when he was, everything seemed so incredibly vibrant. Alfred's eyes were so bright and pure, unlike anything Arthur had ever seen before. Arthur couldn't even explain how amazing it all looked in words. He blushed more once he realized he was staring, and looked away from Alfred, embarrassed. Alfred was looking around, clearly in awe. After moments of curiosity and breathtaking silence, the two's eyes met each other again. 

"So," the clearly flustered man said, looking directly into Arthur's eyes.

Arthur stared back at the man before looking away again, unsure of how to reply. 

After a long, awkward silence, Alfred's manager emerged from a back room. 

"What are you doing wasting time, mon amie?" the man asked in a heavy French accent.

"O-oh... Um, could I possibly have the day off today?" Alfred quickly questioned. 

The conversation went on for a few minutes, but eventually Alfred went over to one of the booths and motioned for Arthur to sit next to him. Arthur, heavily blushing, went and sat next to him.

"Uh, I don't mean to be rude, but I have to get to work..." Arthur said, clearly not knowing how to handle the situation.

"Awwww, come on! Just call in sick!" Alfred pressured, suddenly very interested in him.

Arthur sighed. "Fine," he muttered before calling his boss and informing him of his "sickness". Afterwards, the pair talked for hours. There was something so different about Alfred which Arthur just couldn't place. He was someone he could see himself getting annoyed by, but he just wasn't. Their personalities somehow matched exactly right.

(Timeskip, 5 years)

Arthur rushed home from his work, excited to finally have date night with his husband of two years. Despite being with each other all the time, they haven't had a formal date night for months, and Arthur really missed it. 

As the streets sped by, parts of buildings began to splotch in a mellow grey color. Despite some concern, Arthur shrugged it off. 

Moments later the grey began spreading, even into his car. Arthur then began to panic. This wasn't supposed to happen unless your soulmate died. More and more dull colors began to fill his vision, and the brightness of daily life he took for granted faded. Tears blurred his vision as he started to drive even faster to make sure Alfred was okay. 

Once he was almost home, he received a grim call from the hospital informing him that Alfred was hit by a drunk driver on his way home from work. Alfred was alive but in very critical condition. Arthur rushed to the hospital as fast as he could, but when he got there Alfred was in such a bad state all he could do was say his goodbyes and hold his hand one last time before his heart finally gave out completely. Grey completely shrouded him now, becoming the only thing he could see. Tears stung his eyes and burned his cheeks. He was trying so hard not to start screaming in the hospital, but when he was escorted home that all went to waste. As soon as he was alone he burst into ragged sobs, collapsed on the floor. 

After a few days of being completely shut in Arthur could barely move or even take care of himself due to the intense grief he felt. The day before the funeral, his two best friends, Lukas and Vladimir came to his house to check up on him. They told him stories of black magic bringing people back to life, and thought that maybe it could help bring Alfred back. 

Arthur was skeptical, and after the spell was used and nothing happened, Arthur knew it was too good to be true.  

The next day, the funeral was held. Friends and family were all present. There were so many people Alfred's death affected. He was such a good person, everyone loved him. Right as the officators began to close the casket, Arthur saw a flash of red on Vladimir's red clothing. 

"Wait!" Arthur screamed, beginning to run towards the casket. He pushed the casket lid upwards and looked at the man he loved so much. Color began to dance around the room and he began to embrace Alfred as hard as he could. 

"A heartbeat!" He excalaimed in pure happiness of disbelief. Tears of happiness flooded down his face as he saw the bright blue eyes he knew so well flutter open in confusion. 

Despite the mass confusion and incredible medical mystery, Arthur had his soulmate back, and that was all that mattered.