The Letter (Part One)

(Author's Note: I'm absolutely sorry about not updating in almost a month and a half, I've just been so busy with a load of family stuff and camping. I can't make excuses, because it's been that long, but I hope after this I'll be able to update semi-regularly this summer (I know there's a couple weekends I won't be able to update because I know I'm going to be super busy). Regardless, I hope you enjoy this chapter! If you're wondering, it's inspired by 'We'll Meet Again' by George DeValier, which is an amazing book, so definitely check it out.)

The sky was dark and it was lightly sprinkling. Arthur trudged through the soggy air and got his mail, before returning to his house with a solemn expression on his face. He set the small pile on his counter and sifted through them. Bills, magazine, more bills, but then at the bottom of the stack was a letter addressed to him. He looked at the return address, but it was covered in some sort of dirt or mud.

"Well that's useless," Arthur muttered, cutting through the silence of the empty house. He began opening the letter, curious of what it was about and who it was from. Once opened, he found two pieces of folded paper. He unfolded the one that was in front, and began to read the letter which was neatly handwritten.

'Dear Arthur. I honestly have no idea how to start this, but I'll just say hello. I hope this letter reaches you safely, and I hope you're enjoying whatever you've been doing lately. I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever, but I guess it's been since I was deployed about a year ago. We should catch up sometime now that I'm back in Britain. Either way, this wasn't my intention of this letter. Inside this envelope is something my brother told me to deliver if something ever happened to him before he got home, and... Well, I'll just let you read it now. I hope you're doing well. Sincerely, Matthew Williams.'

Arthur's heart dropped. It was a month since he got the news that his boyfriend Alfred had been ambushed by the enemy. Most of his squad was taken out during a recent mission, and one of the two that ended surviving the encounter was Matthew, Alfred's half-brother.

Arthur felt his breath catch and his eyes filled with small tears. Rapidly blinking them away, he forced himself to take the second piece of paper out. He took a minute to brace himself, and forced himself to read on, stomach churning.

'Dear Arthur. There are so many things I want to tell you. I couldn't possibly say them all in this short letter, but I want to make this regardless. First thing, and most important. I love you. More than anything. And I can't explain how much I do. If you're getting this, then I hate to say it, but something happened to me. If that's the case, I'm sorry I broke our promise. I just wish I could see you one more time, but I've had a bad feeling recently. If you're getting this, I'm so, so sorry. Yours only, forever and always, Alfred F. Jones.'

The paper was littered with small teardrops, and his vision was blurry. Setting the note gently down on the table, he grabbed a bottle of liquor and drank until he blacked out.