The Lifeguard (Requested Oneshot)

(Author's Note: I first off want to apologize for taking yet another break and making the people who left requests wait. While I would love to promise I will continue to crank out updates, school has been incredibly stressful lately, due to the quarter just ending and spring break just starting, plus my classes are very homework oriented. Hopefully though, I will be able to find more time now that I have a break, as well as a new quarter starting afterwards. On top of that, I have recently reached 100 followers and 8000 reads on this book! That's insane! Thanks for your endless patience and support! Now onto the chapter. This is a nyotalia oneshot that was requested by MiddleEarth4eva. I hope you enjoy!)

"Come on, Wendy," I muttered, growing impatient with my younger sister's antics. "I'm taking you to the pool, you should at least be respectful of my time."

Wendy sighed frustratedly and plucked a wildflower out of ground next to the sidewalk, running to catch up with me. She stuck the stem of the purple flower into my pigtail behind my right ear.

"You need to learn how to appreciate nature more," she laughed, lightly nudging my arm.

"Whatever, just hurry. I want to get a bench for our stuff, there's only a few there," I said, quickening my pace as I adjusted the bag of beach toys and towels under my arm.

---

"Oh good," I murmured under my breath as I plopped the bag down on an empty bench, sitting beside it.

Before Wendy could jump in the pool to go play, I quickly spread sunscreen on her uncovered skin. As soon as I finished, she rushed to jump in the water. I then began to lather it on myself, which is when I first glanced at the lifeguard. I suddenly stopped and not so subtly started staring at the girl sat across the pool. Her short, strawberry blond hair swayed just slightly in the soft breeze, bright blue eyes vivid even when compared to the pool water. She was wearing an American flag bikini and had a red towel with bold white letters that spell 'LIFEGUARD' draped over her shoulders.

She suddenly looked over, locking eyes with me, and flashing a smile with a wink.

I felt my face redden and I jerked my eyes away from her, wishing to curl up from embarrassment. I tugged at my swim suit awkwardly and slowly finished applying sunscreen, refusing to look up.

Eventually, as I regained my composure, I walked to the edge of the pool, letting my legs hang in the water as I sat on the edge, reading a book. I occasionally took a peak above the edge of the book, both to check in on Wendy, but also to take a glance at the lifeguard, which I got caught doing twice, causing even more embarrassment.

---

"Alice!" an all too familiar voice called for my attention. I glanced up from my book to see Wendy wading over to me.

"My friend had to leave, you should play with me," she nagged.

I checked the time and sighed before putting my book away. "Fine. Only because we probably should go soon."

I slid into the pool, reluctantly playing the game Wendy begged to play, growing all too aware of the fact we were inching closer to the lifeguard, until we were right in front of her. I frantically glanced up at her, trying to make a good first impression, when I realized a sure-fire way to get her attention.

I led Wendy away from the lifeguard and told her I would carry her on my back. I purposely failed to tell her that I would pretend like she was to heavy and pretend to start drowning. That would surely get her attention. I started to enact the plan, slowly moving from the shallows to deeper water where it was harder for me to breathe. Eventually I went just too far and pretended to start drowning, though it was not as far off as I would have liked.

The lifeguard almost immediately noticed and jumped in to "save me." Wendy promptly began to panic, and the lifeguard worked fast to pull me out of the water and get me on land. It was at that point in time when the lifeguard smirked because she realized I actually hadn't fainted due to lack of oxygen. Regardless, she played the part and pretended to do mouth to mouth resuscitation.

Pretending to cough awake, I opened my eyes to the lifeguard's face hovering above mine.

Soon, the whole fiasco was over, and I was escorted to the main office of the pool and recreation area. There, the owner began to yell at me due to him realizing I was faking the reaction, and that there will be severe consequences due to the disturbance I caused. It was then decided that I would be banned from that pool for two years, and I was escorted off the property, both of which were much to Wendy's disappointment. 

As I was gathering my items, I found a slip of paper that had a phone number scribbled in pen and beneath it, a name scrawled.

Amelia.

I glanced back at the lifeguard chair right as I left, to see the girl, Amelia, smiling back at me. Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea after all.