It Was Always You

(Author's Note: This was just a chapter that I had saved, and I didn't have much to do at the moment, so I decided to just post this today. I hope you all enjoy!)

Alfred looked up to his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He wiped away the small tears forming in the corner of his eyes. He shook his head to himself and rubbed his forehead.

Alfred walked out of the room, turning off the light behind him, pushing away his frown and plastering a smile on.

"Heya, Artie!" he said as he sat next to his boyfriend on their couch. The other man looked up from his book, looking into Alfred's bright blue eyes which hid a more dull shade. Arthur immediately frowned.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

Alfred was thrown off guard. "O-of course I am!" he quickly recovered, forcing his smile to widen.

Arthur put his bookmark and suddenly turned to embrace Alfred.

"Wh-wha...?" Alfred managed to stutter out.

"You really think I wouldn't notice? I know you've been acting weird lately, in fact ever since I met your parents for the first time."

Alfred didn't know what to say. He just sat in the arms of the man he loved.

"At first I thought you just missed your old house since we had just moved in together, but then when I thought about it, you first started acting like this was the day after I met your parents."

Alfred just slightly nodded into Arthur's shoulder.

"You could've told me, you know you can trust me with anything. I know how much your family means to you," Arthur said softly.

"I know," Alfred said, voice breaking slightly.

"And if I'm going to be the person to break you from your family, just because they think you deserve better, then maybe you do. I couldn't stand to be the person who did that to you. So if this is still a problem soon, I-"

"No..." Alfred whispered, wrapping his arms around Arthur, as a tear fell onto his shoulder. "If I lost you... I don't know what I would do..."

"But I couldn't bear hurting you because of my own selfishness. It would destroy me," Arthur murmured.

Alfred began to softly sob into Arthur's shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," Arthur said, solemnly, rubbing the other man's back.

"N-no, I'm sorry, I was supposed to be strong but- but..."

Arthur squeezed his partner's hand. "Don't be sorry about anything. You have nothing to be sorry about. You know, I was once told that everyone can tell you how wrong someone is for you, but in the end, all it comes down to is that you can't help who you fall in love with," he said softly.

Alfred looked up, and gazed into Arthur's eyes, tears streaming down his face. "Well maybe that's why that's why I always knew it was you. I knew you would be worth it all."

Arthur wiped away some of the tears from his cheeks. "I love you so much."

"I love you too. And nothing could ever change my mind."