The Candle Situation

(Author's Note: Hey guys! Since I've been writing so much angst lately, I decided to make something more fluffy for a change. Just so you know, this is inspired by a prompt, but that shouldn't take away too much from the story. Also, just so you guys know, I've decided to change my update schedule for every Saturday or Sunday, as I've found that it'll be easier to have a more open time to update since I'm usually busy on weekends anyways. This way I won't have to have as many chapters come out technically late, and it will just work better for me as a writer, and still be able to update regularly. Either way, enjoy the story!)

Alfred and Arthur sat snuggled up together on Alfred's couch. Only having been dating for about two weeks, this was their first movie date, and they decided to watch a romantic movie.

Arthur ended up, only partially joking, gushing about how sweet candle-lit dinners are, to which Alfred took close note of. A couple days later, he decided he wanted to do something similar to what was in the movie they watched.

-----------------

After gathering the groceries, wine, and other items he thought would make everything just right, Alfred rushed home. He had spent almost a week carefully planning this night. It had to be perfect. While, it wasn't the most romantic meal ever, he had decided to make Arthur's favorite food, fish and chips. After using the recipe he found, he plated the food, actually very happy with the quality. He then quick changed into his suit and as he began to search for the final touch; the candles. That was when he realized his crucial mistake.

He never bought the candles, the most important part.

Alfred began to hastily search his entire house for something to use. He ended up finding an old tea light in a random drawer. Upon closer inspection, he realized it didn't even have batteries. He quickly looked around more and the only thing he could find was a half empty package of birthday candles.

A sudden knock on the door startled Alfred from his search. He sighed and dropped the two items he found on the middle of the table, giving up. As he answered the door, he was greeted warmly by Arthur. As he came in, and was coaxed to sit down and eat before the food got cold, he immediately noticed the strange candles on the table.

"Uh, Alfred... Is there a reason these are here?" He asked as he looked at the assortment with confusion.

Alfred didn't know what to say. "Um, well you see, those are... Candles for a candle lit dinner of course! What else would they be there for?" Alfred replied, trying to sound like nothing was wrong.

Arthur coughed slightly. "Oh. Well, that's very nice."

Alfred could almost hear what sounded like disappointment in his partner's voice. "I'm so sorry," he mumbled.

Arthur looked up from the table and gazed into Alfred's eyes. "What? Why're you sorry?"

"I spent so long planning this after you made that comment about candle lit dinners and I just wanted this to be perfect but I messed it all up cause of some stupid candles," Alfred said, clearly upset.

Arthur's face softened. "Just you saying that and trying to do this for me is the sweetest thing anyone's ever done to me," he said, softly.

Alfred looked up, surprise across his face. "Really? Even though I messed everything up?"

"You didn't mess anything up, Alfred. Just the fact you went to all this trouble makes me so happy, so don't feel bad at all." Arthur suddenly stopped and took a bite of the food plated before him. "Not bad either. Thank you for remembering," Arthur said with a chuckle.

Alfred felt a smile spread across his face. "Really? You don't hate it and aren't mad about everything else?"

"Of course not," Arthur said with a genuine smile. "Besides, broken tea lights are my favorite," he joked, causing Alfred to burst out into laughter.

Maybe what was thought of as a failure, wasn't such a horrible thing after all.