My Best Friend (Suggested Oneshot/Part Two of One Conversation)

(Author's Note: This is a suggested oneshot by AAliiaj12 from forever ago (so thank you for waiting). It is also a part two to the first of two oneshots in my chapter titled Two More Oneshots. The specific chapter name was One Conversation. I suggest you read that first to get a better context for the story, however it is not needed. I hope you enjoy!)

Alfred heard Arthur roll his cart away slowly into the other lane.

"W-wait, Arthur!" he yelled before running with his cart after the man he broke up with over six months ago.

Judging by the sound, Arthur's cart accelerated as he sped away, avoiding the conversation. Alfred in turn sped up equally and raced to catch up with him. When Arthur was finally in sight, Alfred rushed and grabbed the smaller man's wrist forcefully. Arthur whipped his head around, tears flowing down his face.

"What do you want?" Arthur yelled, trying to sound strong despite his cracking voice.

"Please, just talk with me. I really miss you," Alfred sighed.

Arthur turned his head away in shame but stopped pulling his arm away.

"I missed you Artie," Alfred mumbled, still holding Arthur's wrist.

Arthur flinched at his old pet name, refusing to respond.

"Can you please talk to me? I know it's hard and believe me, it's been hard for me too. I lost my best friend and I've been trying to cope but I can't do it any longer. Just please talk to me again," Alfred urged.

"Well if you needed someone to talk to, just talk to your new boyfriend," Arthur muttered, voice hardening.

"We broke up two months ago," Alfred murmured quietly.

"What?" Arthur asked, finally turning to look at Alfred.

"We were only together a few weeks. I tried so hard to take my mind off you but I just couldn't. I thought it would be better you didn't know, but I don't even know anymore. I'm so lost without you, Arthur."

Arthur gaped at the taller man. "I don't know how I'm supposed to react to this," he said, unsure of himself.

"We don't have to do anything, I just need you to be my friend again. I may have lost the love of my life but I also lost my best friend. As long as we're friends that's enough. I just need you again."

Arthur turned away, face heating up. Why did Alfred have such an effect on him. Truth be told, Arthur missed him just as much and was partly relieved to have a second chance. "Okay. Just friends. I missed you too I guess," Arthur mumbled while avoiding eye contact.

"Thank you so much! Oh my gosh you have no idea how much I was hoping you'd say that!" Alfred exclaimed, barely containing his excitement before scooping Arthur up in a bear hug.

A small smile crept onto Arthur's face as he felt the embrace of the man he knew so well.

Maybe he just needed his best friend all along.