The Challenge

(Author's Note: Hi guys, this is the first update that I've actually published on time in a while, so yeah, sorry about that. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!)

One day, Arthur woke up like usual, small bits of sunlight streaming through the cracks in the blinds on his window. He drearily got up when suddenly he saw a note on his bedside table. He reached over to the nightstand, picked up the note, are squinted to see in the darkness. He shifted it towards the light flowing from the open cracks in the blinds. He then proceeded to read the note.

'Hey, Artie! I have a challenge for you. Ready to accept it? Your challenge is to live a day without me, no communications, nothing. Your prize if you beat my challenge? If you pass, I'll love you forever. That should suffice, right? Yours truly, Alfred.'

Arthur rolled his eyes. "I can do that easily, it'll be great to get a day free of him," he muttered to himself. Though he thought it was stupid, he secretly was looking forward to beating his little challenge, and the prize wasn't so bad either, though he refused to tell anyone that.

Arthur continued with his day without texting, calling, or talking to Alfred at all, though it did seem a little empty, he was mostly glad to have a day off.

What Arthur didn't know is that Alfred only had twenty-four hours left to live, as he was suffering from an incurable heart disease.

The next day, Arthur woke up bright and early, eager to prove Alfred that his challenge was too easy. He quick threw on his clothes and ruffled around his bed head hair, so that it was out of his face. He then proceeded to drive over to his boyfriend's house, excited to see him and get his reward.

As Arthur pulled into his driveway, he noticed there were a lot of cars parked around his house and in the driveway. Questioning what was going on, he knocked on the front door of the house. After a short while, Alfred's mother answered the door. It looked like she had tears in her eyes.

"Mrs. Jones? Is everything okay?" he asked, suddenly concerned.

The woman just lightly grabbed his shoulders and led him into the house. In the middle of the living room, an open casket was sitting on a table.

Arthur's blood ran cold, as he felt like he couldn't breathe. Stumbling over to the casket, he looked in, only to see his worst nightmare come to life. The man he loved was lying in the casket, glasses over his normally bright, but now lightly sealed eyes. He couldn't breathe, couldn't say anything, couldn't move. Tears welled in his eyes. He couldn't believe it. Why? How?

Just then, Alfred's mother walked over. "As much as we didn't think it was a good idea, he didn't want you to know," she said, lightly putting her arms around his shoulders. She handed him a small note. "He wanted you to have this. I'll leave you alone, I know how much he meant to you," she said, walking away slowly and solemnly.

With shaking hands, he lifted the note and unfolded the paper. Tears were blurring his vision, and after he wiped them away, and controlled his breathing, he began to read the note in his head.

'You did it, baby! Can you do it everyday? I love you, forever and always.'

More tears fell, dropping onto the paper, making the ink bleed slightly. Arthur lightly folded the note and put it into his pocket. He walked over to the casket, and leaned over his boyfriend's cold body. He rested his forehead on the chest of the other.

"I love you too. Forever... And always," he whispered softly.