Can't Fight This Feeling (Songfic)

(Author's Note: Since I very recently finished rewatching the show Glee, and went back listening to some of my favorite songs, the song Can't Fight This Feeling which was originally by Reo Speedwagon stuck with me, so I decided to make a songfic off of it.)

I can't fight this feeling any longer
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow

Arthur glanced at his best friend for five years from across the hallway. Alfred. Consequently, he also felt different feelings for Alfred.

What started out as friendship, has grown stronger

He felt that after so many years of being so close, he couldn't help from falling in love with his best friend. His straight best friend of all people. Why did he have to get feelings strong enough to ruin a perfect friendship if he told about them?

I only wish I had the strength to let it show
I tell myself that I can't hold out forever
I said there is no reason for my fear
Cause I feel so secure when we're together

With Alfred, he forgot everything. Every single bully who tormented him constantly, every issue he had at home with his brothers and soon divorcing parents, he forgot every bad emotion, every misstep, he only felt the good. Alfred protected him when his "beard" found out he was gay, and on top of that supported him like no one else. He helped him so much, and made him feel better just by seeing him.

You give my life direction
You make everything so clear

Without Alfred, well he saw him every single day, and when he didn't, his life seemed to be empty, almost like it lost its meaning without him.

And even as I wander
I'm keeping you in sight
You're a candle in the window
On a cold, dark winter's night

Even when Arthur strayed away from who he truly was, it was Alfred to lead him back. Alfred who was his light in the dark, his very own North Star guiding him.

And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might

Everyday, Arthur felt himself getting closer, to the point where when they're apart, his heart aches deeply.

And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for

Arthur couldn't remember how hard he tried to stop these feeling when they first started; they felt so far away now and alien to him.

It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

He couldn't wait any longer to tell Alfred. It was eating him up inside, and even though there was a high possibility it would ruin the friendship and his life along with it, he couldn't do this anymore. It like felt he was hiding a huge part of himself from the one person he could be honest and share anything with. I mean, that's what friendship is, right?

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore

Arthur planned out what he would do. Later tonight as they had their daily study session that always ended up with them just talking the whole time and cramming in the homework right before one had to leave the others' house, he would tell him. He didn't care if he broke everything, he couldn't stop himself from loving his best friend. Well, he did care, but he couldn't fight the feeling anymore.

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
I've been running round in circles in my mind

Ever since he met Alfred, something seemed different about him. He shrugged it off at first, but eventually it dawned on him, years later. He couldn't help but love Alfred for so many reasons.

And it always seems that I'm following you, girl
Cause you take me to the places that alone I'd never find

He would go anywhere Alfred would go if it meant being with him, Arthur knew he would do anything for him, anything.

And even as I wander I'm keeping you in sight
You're a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter's night
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

After school, Arthur walked up to Alfred's house, opened the door with his own key, greeted Alfred's twin brother Matthew as he walked in, and went to Alfred's room, knowing the house so well as he spent so much time here. This was it. No going back now...

(Timeskip/Bonus)

He told him. He held his breath as he awaited for Alfred to cast him away and become just another jock who hated his guts.

But he didn't.

Alfred's face softened, and he smiled. He got off of his bed, and walked over to the beanbag chair Arthur was sitting in. At first, Arthur thought Alfred was going to try to hurt him, so he shut his eyes tightly and shrunk into the chair, bracing himself for the impact inflicted by the one he loved more than anyone else.

But it never came. In fact, all of the sudden, he felt warm arms wrap around his chest, and he felt the soft worn down leather of Alfred's brown bomber jacket. He relaxed immediately into his friend's tight grasp, and breathed in the scent of Alfred who for some reason always smelled like hamburgers and a indescribable scent that was just perfect in every way.

"Wh-why aren't you getting mad, why aren't you yelling or hitting me or-?" Arthur choked out before Alfred interrupted him.

"Why would I?"

"B-because, what I just said ruins the whole friendship, and is weird, and if you're going to turn into someone who just beats me up, then please do it now, don't make me suffer like this..." Arthur said, getting quieter gradually, eyes filling with tears.

Alfred abruptly pulled away from him. Well, he knew it was coming... Arthur shrank back into the chair, frowning fiercely, tears finally spilling. But it didn't come again.

"Arthur," Alfred said, voice stern and sharp with what sounded like anger.

Arthur didn't reply.

"Arthur."

"Wh-what?" Arthur asked quietly, voice cracking.

"Tell me why I EVER would ever even CONSIDER that."

Arthur blinked his eyes open and looked up at the man standing tall above him who was looking at him angrily.

"H-huh?..."

"Tell me why I ever would do that, now."

"I don't know, it's just you're not- but- I-"

Abruptly Alfred cut him off with a rough kiss on his lips, which got softer and more gentle over time.

As Alfred pulled away, Arthur was staring at nothing, mouth and eyes wide in shock.

"L-look, I'm just gonna keep this short, I've liked you in... That way for a while now too, but I never had enough courage to tell you because I didn't want to break what we already had. And I thank you for being brave enough and- Artie, are you even listening?..." Alfred said, sounding more and more awkward and exposed as he kept talking. He didn't like talking about this emotional side of himself very much, as he made evident quite often.

Arthur slightly nodded, still too shocked to have moved from his pose of staring at nothing, wide eyed and mouthed.

Alfred chuckled. "C'mon dude, it can't be that shocking, I mean, look at you," Alfred said with a sly smile, clearly glad he could finally flirt like he did with all of the girls in the grade which made them swoon. Except it seemed almost more sincere now.

Huh. So Arthur guessed whatever happened, it could only go up. And he was right, this was only the beginning.