Strawberries (USUK Week Day 6)

(Author's Note: I apologize ahead of time if the ending of this seems a little abrupt, but I didn't quite know how to cut it off. Despite that, I hope you enjoy! Also, the weekly chapter will be posted tonight as well.)

Alfred and his boyfriend, Arthur, walked into their backyard together, holding hands. Alfred slightly pulled his partner over towards the small garden they've been growing together since the beginning of the spring season. Now that it was almost the end of summer, it was about to get colder, thus the pair were going to gather some of the remaining fruits and vegetables.

As they went over, they debated together what to pick today, but despite Arthur just wanting to pick them all at once and go inside, Alfred wanted to "take his time with it". So after a bit of arguing earlier that morning, they decided upon just harvesting what they felt like for the time being, before they just brought it all inside, as it got too cold.

"I'm in the mood for something sweet," Arthur told Alfred matter-of-factly.

Alfred nodded, "Me too."

"Maybe... Strawberries then?" Arthur asked in response.

So then it was decided they would pick the strawberries. The two then began to harvest the ripe, bright red berries, talking as they did so. Arthur put the one he picked into a small wicker basket, but Alfred on the other hand ate them all as he pulled them off the stems.

"Alfred, you idiot, stop eating them," Arthur scolded the other.

"Aw, but come on, they're so good!" Alfred defended.

"Whatever," Arthur muttered, shaking his head.

As they were almost done picking, and eating on Alfred's part, a few droplets of water plopped on their heads. Then the few drips turned into a few more, which then turned
into a light rain, but eventually a heavy storm started pouring from almost nowhere.

"Bloody hell," Arthur said, grabbing his basket and immediately walked across the house from the back door, abandoning the garden and Alfred.

"W-wait!" Alfred yelled after him, racing over, accidentally dropping the strawberry he had just picked.

"Stupid weather, ruining everything," Arthur could be heard muttering to himself.

After a while of drying off and Arthur putting the strawberries away after cleaning them, only to find Alfred about to eat them all as well, they rough pattering on their roof got gradually lighter and less frequent. Alfred went over to the back door, which was a clear, sliding glass door. All of the sudden, he quickly motioned for Arthur to come over. "Artie, come look!"

"What?" Arthur asked, clearly annoyed as he got up from his spot he was reading at on the couch.

Alfred just motioned him over again, and when Arthur got over to him, he pointed up in the sky.

A vibrant and bright rainbow shone through a large gap between the clouds.

"A rainbow," Alfred said.

Arthur shook his head. "I know what a rainbow is, you idiot."

"Well I know, but..." Alfred trailed off.

"You wanted to remind me of something I already knew?"

"Uh, sure,  Alfred said, seeming to be unsure of something. Then a sudden look of realization dawned on him. "The end of the rainbow must be here," he said.

"What? It's over there," he said pointing somewhere in the distance. "But why?"

"Because you're here with me. You get it? 'Cause it's like the treasure at the end of the rainbow and-"

Arthur sighed angrily. "Yes, I get it, but that was not smooth at all."

"Oh come on, you know you loved it."

"Nope."

"Totally did."

"Whatever, Alfred," Arthur said with another sigh, continuing to look up at the rainbow. Maybe the rain wasn't so bad.