You Belong With Me (Songfic)

(Important for story context!!!) This is a Nyo! America x England fanfic, but it has heavy mentions of Nyo! France x England. I understand this is a USUK book, and many fans of this ship aren't fans of the FRUK, so I wanted to let you guys know. This is also a songfic of the song You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift. (Also, small warning, the ending of this got a little muddy, so I apologize.)

Now onto the standard author's note, which I know many don't read, so feel free to skip: I may sound like a broken record, but thanks so much for supporting this book! The first chapter of this book alone has over 500 reads, which is insane! This is also my 50th chapter of this book, so thanks for sticking with me through this crazy journey! I also have recently gotten over 300 votes on this book, which I can't thank you guys enough for! Thanks for being the best readers I could ever ask for!! Also, as I've gotten a few requests recently, they may be coming a little later than planned, but I promise they should come out within the next few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy!!

Arthur sighed as he picked up his buzzing phone.

"Sorry, Amelia, I'll be right back. It's Frances," he said as he answered his phone and walked out of the room, leaving me all alone. Within a minute or two, loud bickering started coming out from the other room.

"No, you don't get it, Frances! It was a joke!" he yelled before he paused to hear his girlfriend's response.

.......

"Well you just don't get it! You don't understand anything!" Arthur exclaimed.

Arthur and his girlfriend, Frances, were the cutest couple at school. As seniors, they had been together for years, but what people didn't see is that they just had nothing in common. Middle school relationships are fine for not having similar interests, but they began dating sophomore year. Not having anything nice to do together anymore really wore down on people, and people who really knew what happened in their relationship wondered why they were even still together. They would fight almost everyday about the stupidest things. For example, the phone call I just witnessed was about a joke Arthur made that Frances found out about and didn't like. It just wasn't worth it to be in a relationship like that, but hey, what do I know about them.

As the pair was fighting over the phone, I found some paper and a pen. I scribbled a short note about how I went home so he could have privacy, and that I'd see him tomorrow at school.

I pack up my backpack with the homework I was working on, and trudged off to my house, closing the door behind me, effectively blocking out the incessant arguing. There have been times when I thought they'd be done within a few minutes, and it took hours for them to stop, so whenever they get in an argument, I just leave.

-

The next day, I sit in my room, lounging in my sweatpants I changed into after school, as hard rock music blares through my speakers.

As I doodle in the top corner of my notes, I suddenly have a thought about Frances. 'She would hate this music so much,' I think as I chuckle out loud. She would murder Arthur if she found out he listens to this music sometimes with me. As if that was it, I smile and go back to scribbling my small sketch.

-

That Friday, Arthur and I went to the school football game together. I eagerly watch the game, cheering until the halftime show starts. Once it begins, the pep band plays a quick song and the cheerleaders head out onto center field. I immediately spot Frances, front and center. The cheer captain. She's wearing the short-skirted cheer uniform, and I immediately feel self conscious about my oversized school pride t-shirt, letterman jacket, ripped denim shorts, and Converse sneakers. No wonder Arthur likes her, I mean, look at me in comparison. Her perfect blonde hair curls perfectly while my short hair poofs up with even the tiniest bit of humidity. Frances typically wears flowing dresses, high heels, and perfectly matched accessories, while I just wear whatever clothes I find from the pile on my floor. It's no wonder she's so popular.

-

I look up, about to ask Arthur a question, but see the corners of his lips curling up slightly. His face is filled with such happiness as he try not to smile like an idiot in public. Arthur looks so happy it makes me happy. Suddenly I look down, blushing hard as I realize the forbidden feelings I was just feeling for my taken best friend.

'No, I can't like him. He's my friend, and dating Frances, and I just can't. No, Amelia, no,' I fiercely fight my thoughts off.

Glancing back up at him, I realize how much we understand each other. We've been with each other for years, but I just now realized how well we'd fit each other.

After the halftime show, we laugh about how stupid some random puns are, I and I think how well this all works. It's supposed to be this way. Arthur and Amelia. It just sounds right.

For the rest of the game, I can't focus. All I think about is how much she doesn't get Arthur. I remember the day when he was at the lowest point in his life. His father had walked out of his life, and on top of that, his brothers were being even bigger jerks than normal. Just days later, his grandmother had died of a heart attack. It was the lowest point in his whole life. In the middle of the night, he drove to my house, tears streaming down his face. When I answered the door, and found my best friend sobbing, all I did was hug him and provide him with a shoulder to cry on. I didn't pressure him to tell me what happened, I didn't even talk except for the times I would quietly assure him that everything would be okay.

I remember a different time, when he was ready to break down, I somehow made him laugh though. I made him smile in one of his darkest times, and I'll never forget that.

There have been countless times when he told me incredibly personal things, and vise versa. He's my best friend and I never would trade him for the world. He cracked through my mask I use to hide and I broke his. Despite our lives  being completely separate, his life has intertwined with mine, and I would never ask for someone else to "get me".

But hey. You can't just go proclaiming your undying love for your best friend and expect everything to work out. So for know I'll shove down my feelings and dream for the day where you realize how much we belong together.