Wait No Longer

(Author's Note: If this seems really familiar, it's because it's based off of a prompt I found.)

Alfred was tired of waiting. So tired. So very tired he couldn't stand it anymore. He's watched everyone. Everyone he loved. Everyone he knew. Absolutely everyone he met, got to know, he was then abandoned by. People age until eighteen, wait until they find their soulmate, then begin to age once again so they can grow old with their soulmates. People typically can wait a few years, but if they're lucky can wait just a few weeks. Alfred was an exception. Everyone he knew, found their soulmate, aged, and died before he could even find his. He's been waiting for over a hundred years. A whole century. There's been so many times where he wondered if he ever would find the one.

One day, he goes out to get lunch at a local restaurant. As he was shown a table, he sits down and looks through the menu. The waiter, who's name tag read 'Arthur', comes over, and something immediately seems different. Something suddenly calls out to him. One word. Soulmate. He suddenly gasps, and so does the boy named Arthur at the same time. Neither of the two seem to know how to respond.

"I'll be right back," the boy says quickly, in a British accent, before rushing off to a back room. Soon he comes back and sits down in the seat across from Alfred awkwardly.

After a long, strange silence, Alfred speaks up. "So, um."

The boy only nods in response.

"So I'm Alfred."

"Arthur," the boy responds simply.

After another short while, something, a barrier of some sort, seems to dissolve, and the two meld into casual conversation, as if they've known each other forever. Slowly but surely, Arthur starts becoming more and more charming. Maybe it is his mannerisms, his distinct appearance, maybe his overall being. Eventually, the pair heads to a nearby park to get to know each other, and everything begins to click.

'Could one single person be this perfect?'  Alfred thought.

Maybe this was all worth the wait.

Definitely worth it.