Revelations

Mr. Goodman standed confidently in front of his son.  His arms were crossed on his chest and his eyes were narrowed.  His pursued lips indicated Jake that he wasn't happy and shouldn't be argued.  But Jake wasn't that kind of man, to fall under intimidation even less when it came from his father.  He wasn't the same scared little boy he once was.  His dad took too much from him to keep being naive and obedient towards him. 

It started with the divorce.  It left his mom, yes, liberated, but without anything else to herself.  She had no money or roof over her head.  He took everything with him when he left and the only thing he ever paid was Jake's tuition for school, which he chose to his benefice.  He never thought about anyone but himself.  He is a fucking son of a bitch.  Both Jake and his mother were a burden to him and it made his son suffer a lot through all of his life.  He juggled with an identity he never knew how to define. 

Zoe was the glimpse of light in his life he needed in a path of becoming who he was.  Jake was finally at peace with his demons when his dad took her from him.  It tore him apart.  He was, until recently, under a constant state of rage and hatred towards the man responsible of all that was wrong in his life.  As soon as Jake was confronted with the same arrogance he had, he took an interest in giving life a chance again.  Virginie, she was called.  Intrigued and infatuated, Jake was not seeing work as a pain anymore.  He, in fact, welcomed it.

When Mr. Goodman started to join his son and his friends to lunch, that's how Jake started to drink.  Eventually, she slipped into a conversation, then a second, until Mr. Goodman had his interest peaked.  Living the dream, Jacob used often his celebrity and his money to attract young dreamers into his bed.  He thought Virginie could be one of them.  By the way she was always agreeing to his decisions so easily and mostly by the time she was spending with his son, as he was surprised she actually enjoyed his company, the director thought she could be falling easily for him.  As he thought she already did, he thought that he would benefit from her drunken state to get what he wants and maybe more if she would have taken the job, which was only a pretext to fuck her, because never would he let go of the control he has over his son.

The men were standing in front of each other. Jake's brows were furrowed, doubtful of the the answer his dad will give him.

"Where is Virginie?" He asks looking away from his dad to walk deeper in the hotel suite. "She is not answering her door and we both know she is never late."

"Why are you coming to me? Your stupid assistant isn't here." Mr. Goodman walks away to his bedroom to grab his watch and puts it on.

"She isn't stupid. Don't talk about her like that!"

"Sorry I've offended your gentle heart, but it seems like you don't know her as much as you think you do."

"And you do? You've met her like two seconds ago. You don't get to judge her ." Jake gets very furious.

"I get to judge who ever behaves the way she did. You don't know half the things she did last night. She was being very mean to you."

"No, she wouldn't. She's my friend." Jake doesn't believe what he hears.

It couldn't have been true. He didn't know her that well, but their relationship grew better and he actually thought she started to like him. Maybe she didn't like him the way he liked her, but they were friends. The woman he knew would not be mean to him, even to his dad. She knew the way Jake felt towards his father. She knew to be guarded towards him. Anyway, that's what Jake thought.