Chapter 88: The Final Conversation

March 19th, 2009
10:51 AM
Alana POV

"Right this way Ms. Thompson," One of Michael's bodyguards, Jovan said. I silently followed him as he lead the way through the house. I couldn't even lie, I was nervous as hell. And I didn't even know what the hell I was nervous for. I silently breathed in and out. Get yourself together Alana. You a 49 year old woman, you got this.

It seem like we were walking for hours (in reality it was less than a minute) before we finally came to a stop. Jovan knocked on the door.

"Mr. Jackson, Ms. Thompson is here to see you."

"Send her in," I heard him say. I mentally prepared myself. Jovan gestured to the door & I nodded thanking him as he walked away. I slowly opened the door & saw Michael sitting by the window with a book in his hand. He stood up & put his book down, looking at me. I avoided eye contact, looking at the book cover. All I could see was 'Machiavelle'.

"Alana." I cleared my throat finally looking at him.

"Michael." I took in his appearance. He looked skinny. Like painfully skinny. And he looked old. Well maybe not old, but stressed. "You look terrible." He chuckled a little.

"I know. You, on the other hand, look beautiful." I looked down blushing. Even after all these years, and everything that's happened, he still does this to me.

"Thank you."

"So... how have you been?" I sighed.

"I've been fine. How are you?"

"I'm alive." I bit my lip looking down. "I was surprised when Angel said you wanted to see me. I don't think you've talked to me since..." He cleared his throat. I felt a lump in my throat. I knew he was referring to the day I found out about him & Mariah. I quickly pushed away the memory, because if I didn't I probably would've swung off of him.

"Michael you know the reason i'm here is to talk to you about something important. Not to talk about bad memories." He bit his lip nodding. "I see you're doing shows in London." He nodded his head slowly.

"Yeah..?"

"Don't do them." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"What? Why?"

"Because Michael I have a really bad feeling about this. Like really bad. It won't go away."

"Alana you're worried for no-"

"Don't say i'm worried for nothing cause you & I both know when I have a bad feeling that im always right. You've went against my feeling before. Please don't do it again."

"Alana..." He started as he walked over for me. "I have to do this."

"No you don't."

"I do."

"For what? You taking a chance for something bad to happen for what?"

"For yall." I was confused.

"What?" He walked even closer.

"I can't say much, but just know i'm doing this for you, the kids, and the rest of my family." What the hell?

"Michael what the fuck is going on? Why are you acting so weird? Why are you doing 50 shows when it look like you can barely walk half the time? And why are you so hellbent on doing this when im telling you that something isn't right?"

"You'll know in due time."

"Michael-"

"Alana," He said grabbing my hands. "Trust me." He stared into my eyes. He had these weird look in his eyes. Everything was off about the situation. I swallowed the lump in my throat before letting go of his hands.

"That's pretty hard to do but okay." Even though I probably shouldn't. He gave me a weak smile.

"Thank you." Something about his smile made my stomach twist up in knots. He was acting so weird. That bad feeling was at high alert, but Michael didn't seem like he was changing his mind so I didn't know what to do. I turned to walk away, but I couldn't give up that easily. I turned back around walking towards him.

"I can't do this." He sighed rubbing his face, sitting back on his desk.

"Alana-"

"No Michael. Something is going on & I refuse to leave until I find out." I said, standing in front of him. He groaned.

"Alana let it go."

"I fucking refuse to let anything else happen to you, especially if it can be avoided. No matter what the hell happened between us I still care & love you, and you're still the father of my children." He bit his lip, looking everywhere but me. "Michael look at me." He shook his head. I grabbed his head with both of my hands and made him look me in the eye. His eyes were tearing up. It broke my heart. "Michael what's going on?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Michael POV

What's going on? Here stood the love of my life, the mother of my children, the one I hurt the most, asking me what was going on. I should tell her. Should I tell her? No, I shouldn't. I've put her through enough struggle and pain. I don't want to hurt her anymore. I grabbed her hands & held them. She looked like she was ready to cry too.

"You have to trust me." She scoffed.

"That's a lot you're asking from me, Michael. Besides, why should I trust you if you don't even trust me enough to tell me what's going on?!" She let go of my hands rubbing her face & pacing. "Michael... please..." Her voice cracked. I stood up walking over to her. She looked up at me.

Alana POV

"I don't want anything else to happen to you," My voice cracked some more. He didn't say anything. He just wrapped his arms around me hugging me tight. In return, I did the same. It felt weird, but then again it felt right. It felt necessary.

"I'm so sorry," He mumbled.

"For what?"

"Everything," He whispered. I didn't say anything back. He let me go, holding my hands looking me up and down. The tears were running down his face. I was so confused by this whole situation. What was going on? Why wasn't he telling me anything? He wiped his face.

"You- you should go."

"Michael you haven't even-"

"Lanie please just trust me," He practically pleaded. I had no other choice but to just let it go. I nodded & turned to leave, but he grabbed my arm. I looked at him with hopes he changed his mind about talking. He moved his hands up to my face & pulled me in for a sweet kiss, making me weak in my knees. He pulled back and gave me a weak smile. "I love you so much Alana. Don't ever forget that."

"I love you too," I said, my voice cracking. Then I walked out. I don't know why I let him get away with that, if this had been any other time I wouldn't have. But this time was different. I didn't know what was going on, but I was really hoping that whatever was going to happen wouldn't be so bad.

Then, tragedy hit.

Michael POV

I watched as Alana walked out of my life one last time & sighed wiping away stray tears.

This is it.