Chapter thirty

Pointless threats

Camille had dragged Ava and hope out to a farmers market for the day

Which Ava was far from pleased about.

They had spent hours parading around fruit and veg for no reason in particular. It was just for something to keep them occupied.

"Where did you even hide the car, I saw none on the driveway." Ava muttered as the pram jolted and Hope laughed.

"It's called having someone inform me one was going to make a run for it and to hide the car beforehand." Cami answered nonchalantly, her hand deep in her bag to retrieve her phone.

"Oh god, I forgot my phone at the house." Cami groaned as they rounded another corner of stalls.

"Lucky for you I'm here to save the day." Ava boasted, her foot anchoring the pram as she took the phone from the holdall.

The screen stayed black.

"And... my phones dead, great." Both girls laughed as they neared the car back, hope playing with the reddest Apple Ava could find as hope wouldn't stop crying until she held something.

Cami skipped ahead, quickly stepping inside the public phone booth and smiling goofily at the child whose nails dig into the skin of a fruit.

Whilst Cami was in deep discussion with the answering machine, Ava checked over the idle child they had to take care of.

The cut, which the baby had obtained from falling China and a startled Cami, was barely visible under the cupcake plaster stuck to her skin.
In curiousity, Ava gently peeled the material away, only to see dried blood and no other reminder of the injury.

Ava tutted.

She gently brushed her finger against where the temporary scar should have been, feeling the giddy giggle of an infant underneath her touch.

"I don't think it was necessary to drink uncle Eli's blood, was it hope. Just a wittle cut." Ava mumbled to herself in a high pitched voice for hopes amusement.

The child grabbed avas thumb from her forehead and began to pull at the skin, allowing the apple to just roll onto the concreted floor from the lack of grip.

Just as Ava went to pick it up and throw it in the bin, Cami slipped out of the booth- smile etched on her lips.

"Right. Let's go home."

And that they did.

*****

"Oh please stop crying."
Ava begged as her body was turned from her front seat and toward the hysterical child in the back.

Her shushes got louder with each wail escaping the infants lips. Her hand frantically gesturing for the baby to quieten.

"Why are you crying? What have I done to upset you." Ava cried along with Hope, causing Cami to laugh and the baby to cry louder.