Chapter 1

You were already 21 years old. But in this world, you were the only one who knew. Since no one knew your birthday, not even yourself, you counted your age based off of how many years went by. And now, that was 21.

But, again, in this world, no one knew.

You placed the grey bag just beside the trash can. If you hurried you could be back out before the next person to take out the trash came.

You rushed down the ally, making sure no one saw. Satisfied, you opened the side door and stepped into the kitchen of one of the most famous street bars.

"Yo! Look who it is!" One girl with brown hair and blond highlights exclaimed. You smiled at her. You would have greeted her properly but she was holding a plate of food. So you both settled for a simple elbow bump.

"Where's pops?" You whispered into her ear in the messy and crowded kitchen. This place broke several health and safety laws, but no one reported it. If this place closed at least fifty people would be jobless.

"Getting drunk out front," she weaved past a few other kitchen staff, making you have to walk behind her.

You went onto the balls of your feet and whispered again in her ear, "Can I take some for the kids?"

The girl reached the door she was going to and pushed it open with her white apron covered hip.

The dining area was hardly any different from the kitchen. Men and woman were yelling at each other. So many voices mixed together it was impossible to distinguish one voice from another. The girl went to serve a plate of meat to one certain man. He wiggled his eyebrows at her and told her something. The girl shook her head and walked back to you, behind the counter.

"How much?" She turned her overly worked face towards you.

"Two pounds?" You asked cautiously.

The girl sighed and hung her head. She had placed her elbows on the counter prior. Making it so that her head was limp.

"Sarah! Get some more beer overt here!" Pops, a giant man with build muscles and legs that allowed him to tower over everyone, called out over the crowd.

"Whatever," Sarah lifted her head and turned to the kitchen before noticing that you weren't following her. She jerked her head at you to walk behind her.

You walked behind her, mimicking how she expertly weaved between the kitchen staff. She went to the very back and stopped at the closet. She picked it open with a butter knife and pulled you inside.

"How long is it going to last?" Sarah asked as she shuffled through spices.

"At least a week," you responded, breathing air that was just slightly clearer than the kitchen.
Sarah grabbed a grey bag from behind the spices and spun on her heel to face you.

"Tell them I said 'hi', 'kay?" She made a gentle hand sign to you, one that warmed your heart as much as her small smile.

You nodded, "I will." You took the bag in your hand and pulled Sarah in for a hug.

"Stay safe, stay hidden." She mumbled the familiar words into your hair.

"I know," you whispered into her ear. Sarah pecked your cheek and released you. She gave you a final smile and pushed you out the closet.

"Now get out," she whispered in a sad voice.
You mouthed the words thank you to her and swiftly left the building. You pressed yourself against the wall and glanced around to makes sure no one was looking at you. You were in the clear and rushed to the grey bag. You sighed with relief when you saw that it was safe and untouched.