It's a family thing.

I shifted on my feet sensing an atmosphere between the mother and son.

"I-I've came here to talk." Nancy began looking between us.

"I'll leave you both to I-"

"Sit." Zak ordered pointing to the barstool at his side.

With what had just happened in the kitchen, I could help feel a little excited at his demanding tone. Normally I'd be pissed with him but now it was completely different.

I was tempted to play up and refuse the seat but his look intensified leaving me to pull out a seat. I lowered my head hiding the wince as I sat down knowing that one side of my ass was holding the shape of his hand from that little punishment I received a few minutes ago...

Damn beautiful man.

Nancy came in and took a seat opposite me before Zak sat down at my side. His hand went down on my knee keeping me in place.

The awkward silence seemed to be building so I decided to break the ice but Nancy beat me to it.

"I'd like to invite you both to thanksgiving dinner." She started. My head snapped up to her face as she looked at me with a sorry expression.

"Don't think so." Zak muttered.

"I'd love to.." I spoke quietly looking at her.

"No." He bit as I looked at him.

"Son.-"

"You are one of a few people I love and trust..." He spoke looking at his mom. She lowered her head ready for his scolding..

He was a mean bastard sometimes... But you love it. My subconscious sang.

"You had no right to get involved between myself and Robyn and certainly had no right to lay a hand on her." He continued.

She nodded "I-"

"I've forgotten the incident. Cross of wires and all that." I smiled briefly at her as she looked up at us.

"No.. Sweetheart I am so sorry for that. Zak is right, I had no right."

"You're his mom.. You love him right?" I asked. She nodded instantly looking at him.

"I do.. I love you and you know I do."

"Then I understand your need to protect him and the lioness in you." I responded.  "But please, don't ever think I left him if I didn't think he could cope. I only did what I thought was best for him and the show."

"I'm right here." He grated making me look at him.

"I feel empty without him, hollow. The idea of losing him to another woman.." I spoke making sure Zak got my hint on this.

"The idea of losing him to another woman physically breaks my heart. I couldn't- I can't image a life without him in it now. I believe in fate Mrs Bagans-"

"She isn't a Bagans." He interrupted me.

"Ma'am. And I think meeting him again after 12 years was fate. It may sound stupid, but I feel as though I've been sat in the dark half my life."

Zak's hand squeezed my thigh before relaxing "The baby wasn't planned, I never had intentions of trapping him, if that's what you felt. I'd never use him for his mo-"

"I understand darling.. You love him. As do I. Which is why I'm ever so sorry."

"I forgive you." I nodded.

Looking at the man beside me, he shifted in his seat before sighing "My past with women haven't been good and I know you've seen your fair share of them staggering out the door with hardly a stitch on but Robyn is different mom."