73

Three years later - Nezther

"M-M-Ma!" Carson exclaims.

I lift him up. "Hi, baby," I set him on my hip.

Gracie and Jenny walk in from school. "Is Daddy coming home this weekend?" Jenny asks as they sit at the table.

"Daddy is coming home for good tonight," I tell them.

Jasper walks in the kitchen. "Hey, Car!" He pokes his younger brother's belly. "How was speech today?"

"Tell him it was good," I kiss my two year old's head.

"G-G... Good!"

Leigh races down the stairs, Kinsley chasing her. "Get her away!" Leigh laughs loudly.

In the past three years, a lot has gone on. Jason and I had a beautiful baby boy with autism, Kinsley and Leigh are now engaged, and the kids are going to school. The biggest change is Jason leaving. He decided to go to a rehab facility, a one year program that is treating his schizophrenia. He comes home on the weekends and tonight he comes home forever.

«» «» «»

"I thought you were coming alone?" Jason points to Carson in my arms.

I look down at our son. "I was, but we went to the doctors this week and um..."

He steps closer, "what's wrong, babe?"

"He's autistic, that's why he's struggling with learning new things and people outside of the family," I whisper.

(I am aware that people with autism are super smart, but it'll make sense a little later.)

"My boy," Jason sighs.

"I don't like leaving him alone or with anyone else. I like keeping my eye on him," I mumble.

The man who was putting Jason's things in the car, comes over to us. "Everything's ready to go, ma'am. Have a good day, Jason, and good luck," he pats him on the back.

My husband nods. "Can I hold him?" He reaches out to Carson.

Carson whines, leaning away from him. "Give him a second," I tell him. "Baby," I make Carson look at me. "That's Daddy, you remember him?" Carson nods. "He loves you like Momma does."

"M-Ma," he wraps his arms around my neck.

"Yes, like Momma. Can Daddy hold you like Momma is?"

He looks at Jason, then back to me. "Y-Y-Yes," he leans towards his father.

Jason grins as he pulls Carson into his arms. "Hi, bubba," he kisses his forehead.

"How is everything? Are you ready to come home?" I ask as I place my hand on his lower back.

He shrugs, "do I really have a choice?"

I pull away from him. "Guess not," I put my hands out to Carson. He leans forward and I take him into my arms. I walk over to the car, swinging the back door open. I buckle my son into his car seat.

"Nes, I didn't mean it like that," Jason climbs into his seat.

I nod, placing the small blanket over my son's lap. "Of course not, Jason. You never do," I kiss Carson's cheek before closing his door. I climb into the driver's side. "How could you mean it any other way? You can't."

"B-Ba, p-p-pease!"

I reach back into his diaper bag and pull out his bottle full of water in stead of milk. "Here," I hand it to him.

"Nezther, I don't want to do this, baby. I've missed you and the kids and Kinsley so much, you know that. I was trying to be a smart ass when I said that. I'm sorry if I offended or hurt you, babygirl."

I shake my head. "It's fine, Jason."

He reaches over and grabs my hand. "I love you," he whispers.

"I love you too."

...

Jason sits on the ground with the kids, playing their games with their toys. Carson lays across my lap with his head against my chest. He plays with the necklace on my neck, twirling it between his fingers. "T-Tired," he yawns.

I nod, "I'll take you up to bed," I kiss his forehead. "Come on, guys. It's bed time," I stand up.

"No," the girls and Jasper whine.

"Yes, Daddy'll be here in the morning. Mommy wants to spend sometime with him. Kinsley and Leigh are already sleeping, its late."

Jason stands up. "Everyone go brush your teeth and I'll read a bedtime story in Carson's room," he tells them.

I quickly shake my head. "We aren't allowed in Carson's room," Jasper informs his father.

"M-M-Mine!" Carson cries.

I start to sway side to side. "Shh, baby, it is yours. No one is going in there besides you and me and Daddy," I wipe his cheeks free of tears.

The other kids run up the stairs to get ready for bed. Jason walks over to us and stands in front of me. He looks down at our son. "Hey there, little guy," he strokes his cheek. "I'm sorry I said that, I didn't know," he frowns.

Carson just stares up at him for a few moments. Just as I was about to say something, he reaches to Jason. "D-Dada," he mumbles.

Jason takes him into his arms. "Hi, baby boy," he grins.

"I'm gonna go make sure they're not messing around. Meet you in Jasper's room," I kiss Jason's forehead. He nods, smiling up at me.

A/N

Did you guys like this?  I was running low on ideas, but I fell in love with the idea of Carson. How do you guys feel about him?