89

Leigh - three weeks later

Kinsley comes into our room and flops on the bed with a sigh. "They keep asking where Nezther is," she looks over at me, "I don't know what to tell them."

I run my fingers through my hair. "What does Jason tell them?"

"That she's sick," she shrugs, "but I don't want to lie to them. I mean... yeah, in a sense she's sick, but she's not sick in the way they're thinking," she explains.

"Have you seen her?"

"No, have you?"

I shake my head. "Jason said she won't talk to him. She curls up and lays on him when he goes up to bed," I bite my bottom lip. "I'm worried about her. I want to see her."

Kinsley looks at me for a moment. "Jason told me not to go in there," she mumbles, "or else I'd say we should go to their room and talk to her."

I finally close the book I was reading and sit upright. "What about Carson? He hasto be throwing tantrums because she isn't around." Kin just shakes her head. "It has to be so hard. The funeral was so hard for everyone," I whisper.

Flashback

Nezther sits with Jason, not crying for the first time in two days. The priest says his prayers and the verses from the Bible. Then when he finishes, Sophia walks up to the podium. Luca follows behind her for moral support.

"I want to say that my heart goes to Nezther and Jason along with the kids," she wipes her eyes free of tears. "I can stand up here and say a lot about Gracie and then say everything will be fine in the end. But I don't want to. I want to say Gracie was an amazing girl, she loved helping people and painting just like her older brother Jasper. She loved getting her nails done, just like her Momma. I'm not here to help you relive memories as it's going to be hard for everyone. I'm here to say that I'm here. It doesn't make sense, but I am. I'm here to help, to love, to nourish and cherish, and help you learn to love life again. Thank you."

People clap. Nezther stares at the floor. She holds Jason's hand so tightly that her knuckles are turning white. He reaches over with his other hand and rubs her arm. "Do you need a break?" He whispers. She nods and drops his hand. He stands, grabbing both of her hands and pulling her up with him.

I followed them out slowly. Jason saw me, nodding in approval but I didn't let Nezther see me.

I watch Jason pull his wife into a hug. She loses it and sobs against his chest. He starts to cry also, I take that as my cue to leave.

The rest of the funeral was slow and painful. We ended up going to a restaurant down the street before going home and not seeing Nezther for three weeks.

End of flashback

I stir whatever Kinsley was making before I came down. She sets the table before coming back over to me. "I don't think Nezther is coming down to eat," I tell her, noticing the extra place she set.

"I don't want her to end up coming down and feeling unwelcome," she explains.

We put the food onto three plates for the kids, then three plates for us. We leave Nezther's plate on the table with a fork and a cup.

"DINNER!" Kinsley tells throughout the house.

The kids walk in and sit at their place. Jason follows them with a deep frown. "Everything is going to be okay," I grab his arm.

He looks at me. "I used to think so too."

I furrow my eyebrows as everyone sits down. I accompany them. We eat in silence as we have for the past three weeks.

"C-Can I s-sit with every-everyone?"

Everyone's heads turn to the doorway. Nezther stands there in one of Jason's shirts and a pair of black leggings. Jason is the first to stand. He walks over to her.

"Of course, baby. Are you hungry too? Let's get you a little food," he reaches his hand out to her.

"I-I'm not hungry," she whispers.

He sighs but nods. "Alright, will you drink something then? Some juice or I can make you a smoothie?" He offers.

She takes his hand, crashing herself into his chest. "Smoothie, Daddy," she closes her eyes.

He hugs her for a few minutes before helping her to her seat. "Hi, Mommy," Jenny smiles.

She looks up to see us looking at her. "H-Hi," she waves shyly.

Kinsley leans over. "That's why Jason didn't want me going upstairs," she tells me.

I shrug, "okay."

"Here, baby," Jason sets the cup with a straw in front of her. "Be careful."